Clutch Travel Adjustment

layoutd

May 17, 2004
So, reading through my service manual, i see that my clutch should move 90 degrees when pulling the cable. mine appears to move about 40-50. i have tried adjusting the nuts on the lever and down by the clutch itself. also that spring down on the the actuator is not really doing anything, i guess this is from the lack of full travel.

is there something i can adjust to get the full 90 degrees on the clutch? is the clutch going bad?
i do not notice much, but this is my first bike and i have only been riding it for 4 months. i have noticed that if it is in gear with the engine off, if you pull the clutch and try and roll the bike, the cylinder moves.

any advice?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Re-read that.

No, I haven't myself in quite awhile. Still I'm quite sure the point is the angle the lever should travel through a 90º point where the lever is attached to the cable.

It does not necessarily travel in a 90º arc.

The initial position of the clutch lever (the one going into the case) is determined by shims in the assembly.

I'm assuming a clutch pack within service limits...neither worn too much nor too thick.

**edit** When viewing the attached graphic you may need to click on *view* *text size* *larger* to properly display the text. Depending on your operating system/IE application updates you may see an Icon with arrows indicating how to 'expand' or 'contract' the graphic. Click on the indicating arrows to make the graphic larger (or smaller).

Attachments

• Clutch Adjust graphic.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
And...with the transmission engaged (in gear), the engine not running and the clutch activated (lever pulled) you aren't going to easily push your bike anywhere. That's because it is a wet clutch. Without 'things' (clutch basket) spinning (engine running) all of the plates are stuck together with oil.

I'm saying it's normal. Don't worry about it. That's why your kdx has an engine!! No need to push it anywhere (hopefully). ;)

yortz

May 16, 2004
I to am having clutch [ Dragging problems] real pain in tha ass. Especially in step down hill switchbacks . I have tried several oil weights; 10-40, 20-50, 15-50 synthetic. Having read other postings about the slight whinning noise in the tranny, and many people say just put more oil in, say maby .9 litre. I have done this and tranny seems to be whine free. Does any one know if this extra oil may be reason ?

layoutd

May 17, 2004
"The initial position of the clutch lever (the one going into the case) is determined by shims in the assembly."

this is the lever i am refering to. the service manual shows that when you pull on the hand lever, this lever will move 90 degrees. mine does not seem to.

i guess that it works fine, just want to check with real world situations versus what the service manual says.

i see what you are saying about 90 degrees to the activation point, so should my lever be farther back from the activation point if it is not traveling the full 90 degrees? maybe i can go home tonight and take two pictures, before and after

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
layoutd:
I understand what you are saying. I still think you misunderstand.....I think? :think:

Check your manual. If I'm lucky I might even remember to do the same thing...but I don't recall it saying the clutch activation lever should move 90º.

Your lever should be placed such that it has the 90º line in the middle of travel. That's what the shim(s) do. Keep in mind there also may be no shims to get to that suggested angle.

After install of Vesrah plates in my bike I ended up removing the one oem shim my bike had to get to the suggested geometry. That's because those plates are a bit on the thick side. Well...that and being brandy new.

'Extra' oil does indeed quiet the kdx clutch...generally the clattering racket inherent to the kdx.

While not 100% true it's a pretty safe bet that if your clutch is working properly it's adjusted ok. Properly in this case meaning there is no slippage when you disengage (couple engine/tranny) the clutch and you can shift when the clutch is engaged (uncouple engine/tranny).

Of course you can shift with no clutch just as well, loads taken into account...shift drums and forks taken into consideration.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…