clutch wear questions from newbie

KanickKDX

May 30, 2005
I searched first. You guys are all too expereinced for me to understand everything i found. All the posts assume the reader knows a little. In my case that is not a good assumption. I intend to learn by doing.
Here's the deal.
My 92' KDX is really hard to start in gear and it pulls with the clutch pulled idling in first gear. This is worse than before.
I adjusted the clutch at the top 2 adjustments and even with all the freeplay gone in the lever I couldn't get it to improve. Is the clutch finished?
The bike is the one I am using to teach my nephew and others and they use the clutch really hard. Brutal in fact. The bike is awesome and stands up to the abuse. I love it.
I changed the oil last fall and it has been ridden one weeekend by the youngsters learning to use a clutch for the first time.
I am clueless but brave. i can call experienced friends to supervise me if I dig in and run into problems.

Are there visual inspections i should do? Are there routine things I have not done? How will I know when the cluch is finished?

Can I replace it myself or do I need help the first time?

Keep it simple. I will do my homework if you can tell me where to start.
Thanks from a newbie.

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
If the clutch has no more freeplay for one it may not engage all the way, but secondly it definately should fully release. It could be the cable is the same age as the bike and streched not allowing it to fully release when pulled, but I doubt it. To determine this you could overadjust the lever and cable adjuster to near the max point, if it releases, get a new cable. If not, maybe the lever is bent in (doubt it, normally out) or is not the original lever/perch assembly and has a different geometry. ie some brands have more/less leverage, but in turn pull on the cable a slightly different overal distance.
My 2c.
Stan

KanickKDX

May 30, 2005
I have replaced the clutch cable within the last few years. The lever and perch is not stock but is not bent. Hope this helps. I think the clutch is much worse after 3 days of serious revving as the clutch is released slowly. (He really didn't want to stall and he found that if he held the revs high, he would stall less.) i assume clutches wear out eventually but don't know how I would know if it was or if I just don't know all the ways to service the clutch and gears or adjust the cable.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Typically, when a clutch wears out it will slip rather than grab. This only makes sens as the plates get thinner as they wear down. I would recomend switching to a stock lever and perch if you are unsure of what leverage raito the set up on there now has. The typical aftermarket clutch lever/perch copies a honda raito, which pulls less cable than a stock kawasaki set-up. It makes for an easier clutch pull, but often leads to dragging.

Another possibility is that the clutch plates are warped. This happens when a clutch is over heated (which is hard to do, I slip the clutch a lot while climbing hills and exiting turns and have never had a problem). Warped plates will cause drag even when th proper amount of cable is pulled because they still rub against eachother.

Another possibility is that the clutch basket is knotched. The clutch plates are held by and inner and outer basket, each basket has fingers or groves that the clutch plate tabs ride in. Over time, the clutch plate tabs wear knotches in the baskets which prevent the clutch plates from moving freely. This can cause grabbing, dragging, slipping etc.

good luck

StrokesX2

Mar 2, 2005
I'd bet the clutch basket has grooves worn in it preventing the plates from releasing easily.

kiddix200

Jun 2, 2005
probably the basket but what weight oil are you running in the case

Last edited:

KanickKDX

May 30, 2005
I run a 10/40 automotive oil. I see some use Bel Ray Gear Saver. I like good stuff. Should I try a better oil? I have gear oil for my out board, gear oil for the '72 Volks - I can buy specific oil for my KDX.
It sounds like I need to consult my local guru and then pull the clutch cover and look at the guts of the thing. A seasoned eye can tell me if I have clutch issues. I would have no idea what I was looking at but need to learn. I can get help.

An easy first step will be to ensure I have corrrect clutch leverage for a KDX. This I can do by comparing my current lever to a stock one. I do have three bikes and it is possible I used a spare clutch perch and lever since it fit, not necessarily a KDX spec. I have a Honda, Suzuki and of course the KDX and I have spare parts I might trade from bike to bike when something bad happens - pretty often when you lend as much as I do.

Thanks for offering. I will get help on the diagnosis if the lever is okay.

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
While you're at it, lube your cable. It does wonders. I agree with the above. Clutch plates slip when they are worn. Clutch baskets can be "grabby" if the plates have worn grooves into them. You could pop off the clutch case and have a quick look.

Changing out plates and baskets are not a tough job. Pay attention to the order in which you remove stuff. Use a digital camera if you need to remember. I did my job without a bike manual. I use Belray Gear Saver. I live in the tropics so multiweight oils are not needed here. In colder climates multiweighted oil is more important.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…