kdxmadman04

Mar 9, 2003
how do you know when the clutch is shot on your bike mine makes a weird noise if i like do a motocross start or if i climb a hill and hold it pinnned its like a screeching grind noise and when i have it in gear the clutch like wont let my bike start and when it starts then it works but its weird is it shot or how do i adjust it

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
its like a screeching grind noise and when i have it in gear the clutch like wont let my bike start and when it starts then it works but its weird is it shot

reread that bit & please report back to your English teacher. :confused:

I think I understand what you are saying. Maybe. Presumably you have a kdx of indeterminate year & size.

What you should be looking for is the steel plates are probably warped.
The clutch hub & fingers are probably grooved & the friction plates glazed.

Check the friction plate thickness while you are there. Note the early KDX basket with no plates in it bottoms out before the plates wear to their minimum thickness so an extra steel may cure this if it is the problem. Measure the stack vs the space in the hub with no plates. Later model KDX have weak springs.

Also check the fit of the hub on the shaft & the bushing there for too much wear.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Really, mr. trustrum! He probably got that from his english teechur!

If you're replacing clutch stuff (and you will be) keep in mind the increased friction material available on the xr250r plates. They fit in the kdx (albeit this bike being 'indeterminate year & size').

A hinson basket will run you about $190 or so. It comes without the drive gear attached to the rear of it, so you'll need to transfer your old one.

Verify the assy with a manual. There is a washer (or two) that like to get lost if you aren't looking for them. Things don't work if you reassemble the unit incorrectly. Go figure!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom