JHNguyen89

Dec 4, 2009
I just replaced the Piston and clutch cable on my KDX. It's my first bike and I honestly haven't ridden it very much at all, I just wanted to take care of the piston before it exploded.

That being said, I notice that when the clutch is not held in, I get this weird clicky noise as if something is loose. Though when I hold it in, the noise goes away. Is this normal? I've checked over everything and can't find anything loose.

JHNguyen89

Dec 4, 2009
sr5bidder said:
did you take the kips apart on the right side?

is this in gear noise?

I didn't take the KIPS apart though I cannot remember if this rattle was there before I did the piston swap.

When I turn on the bike, the noise is not there even if I pull in the clutch or let it out. BUT, when I put it in 1st and back to neutral, the noise is there. When the lever is pulled in, the noise is gone..

I don't know if the noise is still there when I'm in first. It gets too loud for me to tell. The noise itself is not a huge rattle, it almost just sounds like some loose plastics or something. But.. that's not the case.

Last edited:

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
Sometimes the rivets that hold the basket together become loose. I've had this happen with Yamaha's, I'm not sure about KDX's though. I replaced the basket and the noise went away. It was more of a vibrating noise, than a clicking noise though. If you take the clutch basket off and there is any play between the basket and the gear attached by the rivets, then that is the issue. Just my experience.

good luck,
Dave

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
twrt
some clutches have a rubber cushion collar between the 2 pieces, some others have radial springs some are direct...can't remember what the kdx is

Top Bottom