2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Went to Coal Creek riding area with some of the guys from our riding club Sunday. :flame: I haven't been there in well over a year and these guys have really worked hard cutting out new single track. These trails are TIGHT!! Some of the trees are not even full handlebar width apart. :eek: The YZ held up really well, although I was riding the clutch for most of the ride. I am going to have to gear this thing way down to ride these trails. This is an excelent place to ride and I would recommend anyone who gets a chance to give it a try. There will be a SETRA enduro held here in October that should prove to be interesting. My butt is sore(if you stand up on these trails, a limb will take your head off) as well as my throttle wrist and right hip(from lifting my leg to apply rear braking) and other than that I feel great. No one had any major get offs and nothing broke so it was a successful ride! :yeehaw: Here is a pic of a section of tall grass single track. It may not look to intimidating but if you go off the single track at all, you will fall in a ditch.
coal_creek_0468b.jpg

Last edited:

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
yz, you had me all primed with the great ride report, but the link does not go through. :whiner: 'this page not available'

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I tried to use the IMG function so the picture would show up in post but I'm not doing something right. You should be able to copy and paste it into your address bar to get it to work.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Just got back from Coal Creek again and created a web page with a few pictures of the area. The Coal Creek riding area is about 72,000 acres, yes that says 72,000 acres! :thumb: :worship: There are jeep trails, quad trails and single track. One good thing is the quads can ride on the jeep trails and dirtbikes can ride on the jeep trails, quad trails and single track but the jeeps and quads can't ride the single track because its physically impossible! :yeehaw: :p There is a permit that must be purchased that is $10 per day or $50 per calendar year.
http://www.geocities.com/motoxrideryz2002/coal_creek.html

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Please tell me Coal Creek is in the extreme n/w corner of the state. In other words, as close to StL as possible. Those trails look awsome - how much traffic do you usually have back in there?

BTW, that's the first orange YZ I've seen this year. :)

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Sorry Ken, but Coal Creek is more NE. It's about 40 miles or so above Knoxville. Naturally thats my riding bud in the pic. I'm not letting HIM ride MY bike OR work my camera. :) As far as traffic goes, there were only three of us in our group today and one got hurt immediately(smashed his big toe on a tree). We met a couple other bikes on the trails and saw some quads on the roads but with 72,000 acres, we don't come across many people. Let me know if you ever want to come over for a weekend. DID I MENTION IT'S 72,000 ACRES!?!

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i think it's worth noting that the group that primarily made the deal come together is an atv club, windrock atv. they are responsible for managing the area. they are good folks, even if they do use too many wheels.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Yes, the Windrock ATV members are very pro-active in helping to keep land open as multi-use trails.
http://www.windrockatv.com
Although, I've been known to poke fun of quads a time or two :p , its mostly in jest. The Windrock members I've met are very responsible and friendly people. Besides, those extra wheels come in handy when you need a tow! :confused:

Top Bottom