Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Maybe one of you guys can shine some light on this for me... I've been messing with my '88 RM250 for months now getting it all fixed up and running properly, but its still having a problem starting when cold. When its first started, it has to be leaned on its left side in order for it to flood.. You can kick it for an hour if ya don't turn it sideways and nothing will happen.. Once you pick it up after 20 seconds or so on its side, she starts 1-2 kicks.. Stall it in the woods, starts back up first kick.. Let it sit for 15-20 min after riding, have to lay it on its side again..

I've torn the engine apart to rebuild the power valves, it has good enough compression to pull the front end up in all 5 gears, no air leaks, new gaskets, clean carb, pretty much everything is tight..

My guess is top end is killing low end compression and needs to be replaced, but I just wanted some opinions before I spend $90 on another Wiseco kit.. Thanks guys..

slojo

Jan 15, 2002
It sounds like maybe your carb's float bowl is emptying when the bike sits. I've used the "lay the bike over to flood the carb" for years. Yours sounds a little worse than most but you do have a fairly old bike. Hey if all you have to do is lay it over once in a while, do it.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I would bet on the reeds being out of specs. What happens when the reeds are worn out is the bike becomes hard to start. Reeds are like a one way valve letting the fuel mixture out the carb and not letting it come back when the pressure changes.

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Reeds are fine, checked those a few weeks ago and put a new intake manifold gasket on.. Maybe I'll just replace the O-ring on the float bowl drain bolt, and maybe the gasket around the bowl too.. I wouldn't mind lying the bike on its side if it was only once a day, but if we take a 10 min break in the woods, i need to get off of the thing and put it on the ground while everyone waits around.. Gets Anoying after a while..

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
Make sure the needle and seat are not dirty and the float or floats dont hang up anywhere in thier range of travel.Also make sure fuel level is at the proper height.Sounds like needle and seat stick closed.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Are you sure the choke works properly? Just another thought.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom