Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Hey, what can i do to ride my bike in the COLD weather. Rite now it is 9degreese outside, and the high is only 15 degrees. Would it be ok to ride just let it warm up longer? Do i have to worry about hurting the engine?

thanks.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
What the hell do you want to ride in this cold for??? Holy crap dude. Forget the health of the bike, what about you????

Might be a good idea to just wait until the temp gets up a little closer to something not freezing the crap out of everything.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
There was a time (about 25 years ago) I thought you had to ride every weekend regardless of the weather. I got over that. Don't worry about the bike as long as it has a coolant that want freeze. Worry about yourself,dress to stay warm and dry. Main thing stay dry. Stay away from creeks and mudhole's you get soaking wet at 15degrees you've got a problem.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well.. i was worried about the bike. I got a big jacket (with hoodie under it), and big waterproof warm pants. Ill be warm. i love the cold weather.

RebelBanshee

Aug 18, 2007
20 degrees temperarute is about 1 size on the main jet, approximately. I rode my yz250 in 20 degree wheather I had to tape off about 1/3 of each radiator to get it to run at temperature.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
just_a_rider said:
GeeZ, what are you an eskimo. Those temps and adding wind chill from riding? HuH. :coocoo:

yeah, just as wildhaired and strange as riding a snowmobile, downhill skiing and boarding and stuff. Good gosh, I see what you mean!

Last edited:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well.. rite now its a scorching 12 degrees outside, and my friend is over. and he hasn't ridden my bike since the tranny broke (about 4 months ago) so... i'm gonna try.

And i love cold weather, i snowboard and stuff like that.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
LMAO - this reminds me of something some dude from Alaska posted once, he was out riding in temps that sould make your heart stop. Had a freakin ski on the front of the bike. What a nut.

Just ride the bike, it will warm up, you may need to make a little jetting change, but it's all good. I took my WR out last weekend, and noticed a little need for air screw adjustment, but it still ran well enough, and we had on heckuva good time.

Papakeith and I have been tossing around the idea of studding our tires, who knows where that might lead :ride:

camshaft

Jan 12, 2008
LOL! I hate cold weather! I work outside in it everyday. Theres a few guys that live by me that stud the tires and keep riding through the winter. Each to his own I guess.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
We rode for about.. 20 min. We were fine, but the bike didn't like it. i didn't have duct tape but it never really got to riding temps, so we just put it away. Th ruts are frozen so it kicks you all over the place. And ice crunching under the tires is a weird sound.

Top Bottom