SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Hey guys, i'm going to Colorado next month for some trail riding. I have a 94 KDX with an FMF pipe, silencer, and airbox mod. It runs great with the stock jetting at around 500 feet so i've never messed with it. Maybe a little lean in the dead of winter. Will I have problems in central Colorado with elevations of 7,000 to 13,000 feet? Thanks for all replies!

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Coming from Oklahoma city (near sea level), our group went 4 to 5 steps leaner on the main jet for riding at 8000 ft and above. I also chose to go one step leaner on the pilot.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You will have 'problems' if any of the following is a 'problem':

1. Bike won't run very well (it won't run very well in the best of circumstances at that el.)

2. You don't have a good number of spare plugs.

Using CDave's elevation correction chart, at a given temp for which you are correct at sea level (say 160 for an example), you would want a 148 for 10,000'. I used a .92 correction factor to get that number. I didn't bother looking for the 94 stock jetting. I'm not saying you have a 160 main.

Your pilot will drop a few sizes, too.

Check here for some good colorado jetting info.

Last edited:

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
We just rode some high country around Denver last week and were stopped by 4-6ft drifts at about 10, 800ft. [I'll send a couple of photos if someone can post them on here] You lose approx. 3% air pressure [=HP] per thousand feet - so at 11K' you're down 33% as CC said in his post. Here's my jetting for that ride - and it was just about perfect ---- 40 pilot, first clip needle, 140main. We were never below 9000'

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
My buddy rode up at 10,000 feet there last summer and found 38 pilot and 145 mains to be about right for KDX 200 (late model). I believe history has shown that '94 models take a little richer(bigger) jets. You will have fun.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
SmokinRZ --- Where do you plan to ride ?? July 4 week theres usually quite a group of us riding Taylor Park --camping @ Spring Mountain Reservoir.

There is a publication called "Trails of Colorado" [ I think that's the name] that is very complete & accurate and covers most of the state. If you're not familiar with certain areas you can save a whole lott'a time & aggravation by having good maps.

What's the RZ mean? Do you have an RZ350 ?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Keep in mind the '94 is NOT jetted the same as the 'H' models. Robcolo's bike is an 'H'...and JH references 'late model', which is 'H'.

Yours is an 'E' model.

Point is NOT to take the numbers listed specifically for the 'H' for your bike, but to get an idea of the amount of change.

Of course even correctly jetted you'll wonder why your bike runs SO bad way up there. Don't confuse poor jetting with no-air-up-there.

Have a great time!! Let us know how it goes.

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
I am going someplace near Sargents in south central Colorado. I was invited by a friend of mine that goes every year so he knows the area. I've never been so this all new to me. I did ride in northern New Mexico about 20 years ago, my XR250 felt more a Z50 so i'm prepared for the power loss. Yes I will factor in the difference of the 94 and late model stock jetting in deciding where to go with the jetting. I'll figure a little rich to be on the safe side :) and fine tune after I get there. And yes I did have an RZ350 for about 14 years until this spring when someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse, I still have my 400F Daytona Special and he wants that one too. So far I have resisted but I keep thinking about the slot that would open for something different or maybe even allowing me the time to go riding instead of doing maintenance on internal combustion toys :)
Thanks for all the replies!

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
SmokinRZ,

A friend bought an RZ350 from a guy (I happened to be along for the ride) a few months back. It was red and white and oh so beautiful!! He also had a RD400 Daytona Special that he offered to me for $800. It was all there mechanically with a fresh rebuild on the motor including some crank work he had to send to CA to get done. It needed some cosmetic work on the side panels, tank etc. Just paint, no bodywork. Now he apparently really wants to sell it and might go lower. I have no idea about this bike or how it compares to the RZ350 if at all. Could you give me some input or email me at tviers@charter.net ? I'm just glad to find someone that's owned both.

Tom

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
I have one of each too. The RZ is water cooled and a little more modern suspension & motor [variable exhaust valves ] The RD400 is about 10 yr older technology but still a great bike --and the Daytonas were THE bike to have. GET THAT ONE --it's worth way more than $800. The RDs are air cooled and are lighter and much smaller physically that the RZs. There are websites devoted to both of the above bikes [search Google]
For SmokinRZ --the Sargents area is just south of Taylor Park with lots of great riding. There's some serious single track stuff going over the divide to Poncha Springs or go north of rt 50 for some easier but more scenic mining roads & passes. There will still be plenty of snow up high !

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I rode R5s and RDs for years. Great bikes indeed. Things like riding with a 700/750 or something ninja awhile back. He thought he was going to run off an leave me. Ha! I was on his a$$ all the way.

He was surprised.

He couldn't shake me on his zx11, either!

I had 47,000 miles on my first R5 before I even took the heads off!

.......those were the days......

A daytona for $800? And you haven't bought it yet? They're geared a bit low, but they're fast!

Smokin': Didn't you keep your RZ in your living room? Seems I recall that.

Gee....'ya could've told me you were getting rid of it....:(

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
I live in Gunnison and ride Sargent's regularly. I'd be happy to answer any questions (can't help w/jetting) or provide suggestions.

It is an excellent ride, IMO

BTW, at the open (treeless) area above Sargent's there is a memorial, made of granite to all of the soldiers that fought in the Vietnam war. It is quite stirring.

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
No, the guy that keeps his inside is in South Texas somewhere and has a 0 mile RZ 500 also. I had the RZ about 14 years and kept all the mods to bolt on except for milling the head but I did all of the bolt ons. I had a lot people want to buy it but someone offered me $3,700 for it. It was hard to part with it but after riding newer bikes I just couldn't get it to handle confidently even after putting on the Fox Shock and I didn't want to start putting on newer wheels and forks. Besides, I consider myself luck to have never crashed it cause when it was on the pipe in a corner the back end would come out which was fun but I was afraid it might high side me one day. The bike just required a lot of concentration to ride fast. A guy from France told me they are called flying coffins over there, then a guy on an old Norton at pub was looking at it and shook his head and said these bikes hurt a lot people in England. The biggest thrill of owning that bike was spanking kids who didn't know how to ride on new GSXR's. This was usually after some remark about how they were not going to wait up for some old guy on a antique 350 Yamaha. The RD 400 is from an earlier era and won't begin to keep up with modern machinery. Ahhh memories!

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Robcolo and CO Dan,

My 12 year old son and I are going to Durango for a family reunion in early August. We are planning to take the KDX and his TTR-125. He is a novice rider, just got started riding in December. Any suggestions for some riding around there that will provide good views and fun without spooking him? I saw that you mentioned the publication "Trails of Colorado". Where can I get one? Maybe I could send cash and you could mail me one?

Tom

Top Bottom