Columbia Missouri -?Finger Lakes?

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
Morning,

anyone familiar with a place just outside of Columbia Missouri? I *think* its called Finger Lakes.

My folks live in Columbia and I'm heading down for a visit next weekend. Thought I might take the DRZ along and see if I can find this place.

Thanks in advance

Mac

ScottZX7RR

Sep 11, 1999
Mac,

I am from Fulton which is 20 minutes from Finger Lakes and I will be frank with you about the place in that I would rather drive the three hours to go to Chadwick or Flat River.

Finger Lakes is a old mining areas so the area is very clay based ground, so it hold water very well. I have been there in the summer time after it hadn't rained for a month to find it a muddy mess causing a very unpleasant ride. But part of that is caused by the lack of trail maintanence being done to the park whick is compoinded by the irresponsible ATV riders that like to make very large ruts in some of the lower areas. There is a group that is working to clean up the area but they have a long way to go to get it in better shape. So if you go there make sure to avoid the water puddles. Some are as deep as your bike.

But if you want to ride the MX track mainly then it is pretty good as it is lined with sawdust and woodchips that dry out the track nicely. I go there every few weeks to ride the track and drop down in a few select trails to ride a bit but not too mamy.

Give me a shout when you are going to be in town and maybe I will come out there.

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
Fulton you say!?!? I graduated high school and enlisted into the Air Force from good 'ol Fulton. :)

Once upon a time I had a buddy that lived out towards the Nuc plant (?route O I think?), he had an old RM125 and a TS-something. We ripped around in a creek bed and had a great time. That was my first true "dirt bike" expereince.

Mac

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
We have a couple of pictures of Finger Lake on our website
The Good Guys

Just becareful as alot of the trails lead up to a dead end top and the other side might lead you to a 40-50' dropoff into the lake.

Always make sure of what's on top of the hill before you go up it.:scream:

rafe

Sep 17, 2000
finger lakes

we are from fulton, mo and we ride at finger lakes quite often. it is usually pretty muddy-you just gotta stand up and give it alotta gas !! Don't know about a group that works on the trails but my son and i spend an hour or two trimming trees before we ride.- maybe more people need to spend alittle time making the trails better (an hour or so does wonders!!) and it would make even a better place to ride!! P.S. my wife and i both graduated from fulton also. :cool:

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
what year did you graduate? I'm an 83'r (just typing that makes me feel OLD) :ugg:

I've pretty much decided I'm gonna bring along the bike and will check the place out on Sunday, the 24th.

If you come out, just look for the DRZ"E" with a Nebraska license plate.

Mac

rafe

Sep 17, 2000
finger lakes

I graduated in '83 also--have fun at finger lakes on the 24th--we will probably be at the hare scrambles in Lebanon that day-TIM

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
No Kiddin, whats your name?

I'm listed in the year book as "William McDaniel"

I actually left school early for basic training so didn't finish the wntire senior year.

Mac

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
How old is your boy and what are you guys riding?

I've got a young'un that'll be 14 in August. I put him on a TT-r125L right when they were first released. Super bike, but its about getting to small for him now and I'm not sure what to do. He just went through a spurt that put him up to about 5'10" and cost me 2 pairs of riding boots with this last set being size 12.

Not sure if we should try and make it through another season on the little thumper or if I should go ahead and look for the next one. I personnaly ain't too fond of 2-smokes, but any of the 4 strokes are too heavy for him.

maybe if I hit the lottery I'll get him that Husky TE250 ;) But then again, I think there is a rule written somewhere that says your son's bike is allowed to be cooler than yours. Anyone else read that?

Mac

rafe

Sep 17, 2000
finger lakes

I have a kdx 200, thirteen year old son rides the most has a Yz 80, eleven year old son rides a Ds 80, seven year old son rides a Jr 50, My wife rides a Bayou 220.We might see you!Maybe even ride with you somtime!

Top Bottom