motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
What are the differences between the 04 KX100 and an 01 KX100? Were any factory changes performance based, or were they mostly cosmetic? The wife has a 01 and we are looking at an upgrade to an 04 soon. Her 01 is modded pretty well, but we are considering the newer model. Are the parts tranferable from 01 to 04? Ahhh decisions, decisions! Any experience with this issue would be very helpful indeed. :)

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
follow up

I found out most, if not all, our after-market goodies can be transfered over. Now what about that real world experience with the power, handling, and reliability of the 04 models? This is the KX100 in green, or RM100 if you are partial to yellow.

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
I don't know much about the older KX100's. From what I was told the bikes had a few really good changes made to them in 02 or 03. I can't say what for sure but I can say that my wife really likes her 04' KX100. It really is a fun bike to ride and I love the motor. I am going to do a few things to it to make it a little better in the woods but it is great in stock form. The only thing that I really had to do right away was drop the needle one notch to help with the plug loading up. That seemed to do the trick.

Go ahead and get the new bike.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Thanks

Thank you for the reply XRKX. We are looking at the 04 now. It sounds like improvements did occur between 01 and 04. Keep ride'n :ride:

Jul 19, 2004
Wait, before you do that. Is your wife using the 01 to the full power limit? I mean, the little bugger pushes more than 15 ponies. Why upgrade? There really havent been any huge changes over the years, mainly just BNG. If your wife is riding to the limits of the bike, then you should think about upgrading to something different. (i.e. 250f or a 125 2 stroke) I mean, no reason to upgrade if there is no reason.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents to the pile before you throw down the extra cash.

And by the way, what all is done to the kx100 mod wise?

P.s. the kx100 is what I ride as well.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
01 kx100

The KX 100 has been re-sprung: .31 fork springs,
5.0 shock spring, skid plate, frame guards, boysen low tension dual stage reeds, jetted leaner across the board, BR9evx NGK, stock pipe, FMF turbine core II, 10oz. flywheel weight, dunlop 756's, ARC levers, steel shifter (bend not break). I guess thats about it. We didn't see a sizable benefit to riding a new KX100 so, she is still on the 01 for now.

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
Was there much of a difference in hitting the powerband with the 10oz flywheel weight vs. not having the weight at all? I'm thinking about getting one for mine, too.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I put a 10oz flywheel weight on my son's KX100 and it was the best mod we have done. No stalling, smoothed out the power for better pull across the RPM range. My son now finds this a much easier bike to ride. I even rode this thing in the woods for an entire day while I was redoing my KTM 300 top-end and I had a blast on it.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Flywheel weight

The weight makes a big difference when trail riding, the rider can lug a gear higher when riding in slippery conditions. Also climbing hills doesn't require as much clutch work.

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
Excellent! I was hoping to hear that it would help with the stalling! I find that to be one of the hardest parts of trail riding.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom