wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
I had a bit of a play on my brother's brand new '04 Beta yesterday, and although not a complete test by a competent rider heres my thoughts :eek:

We had a trial yesterday at an old favourite venue of grassy banks and some light forrestry with lots of pine needles. It pretty much rained all day so was very slippery, with some of the sections impassable by the last lap - especially as the sections were set out with lots of tight off camber turns which chewed up during the day and became difficult to walk on without falling over in the afternoon.

The bike feels quite tall through the handle bars when first riding it - this is because the front end seems to sit slightly higher than the older models, it may also be because the front suspension hasn't broken in yet, and may lower over time. The front end feels very secure and 'planted' in turns, and an improvement compared to the '03. The bike definitely steers slightly better than the '03, with the feeling of the front wheel staying exactly where you want it to be. Overall the rear suspension is very good, with traction available from the rear end and not really all that different to an '03.

Engine wise more of the same, with the higher first gear compared to my older '00 Rev3. This means that first gear is the gear of choice for most sections in the lower grades with a bit more speed compared to the older pre-'03 models. The running-in jetting didn't show the motor's full potential, however it did seem relatively smooth and slow - ideal for lower traction conditions, and not too much of a handful.

Overall the bike seems like a slightly refined '03 with better more secure steering, so an improvement but not too much of a jump. I enjoyed riding the bike, and after the jetting has been changed will ride it some more and report back.

I am mainly comparing this bike to my '00 Rev3 which is only a 200cc. I have recently upgraded the rear end on my bike to a '04 airbox arrangement and have noticed that my bike runs much better through the rev range. This must be because the airbox is bigger, and seems to have leaned off the jetting slightly all the way through the rev range. We had tried a smaller pilot jet and both a smaller and larger main jet previously - and neither made the sort of difference in performance that the new airbox has.
Now my 200cc bike seems to have more low end and mid range power than a reasonably fresh '99 Techno 250 that I rode recently, its just missing the extra zip right at the top end. I'm well pleased with the improvements, and can highly recommend this upgrade to any '00 or '01 Rev3 owners. The next time your rear mudguard or airfilter needs replacing it is worth the extra money.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
With the '04 being pretty much brand new apart from a couple of hours of running in I wasn't too keen to try anything radical on it, so didn't do any big crashes with the bike landing on top of me. As the bike loses its new bike prettyness I will try some impossible feats of daring and skill, and typically **** them up so I will eventually be able to give you the bruise factor weight measurement. The '00 is very very heavy when it chases you and then lands on top - sometimes it seems almost as big as a KTM 640 with extra metal attachments that dig into any appendages that will break or bruise easily.

Seriously it did feel slightly lighter at both ends, with a feeling of being marginly easier to get the front end to go up in the air. It was harder to tell the difference in the rear end as I've set my front suspension up really soft, and therefore my '00 tends to nose wheelie very easily.

It definitely didn't feel anywhere near as light as a '04 Sherco that I'd recently had a short play with, but on the plus side it got much better traction and felt more stable. I would have better confidence when facing a steep uphill or bank that the Beta would give me the maximum drive to get up it, whereas with the Sherco I was having to really concentrate on getting the clutch/throttle and body positioning completely right. When faced with a tight turn directly before the bank or hill I think that I would **** it up every time on a Sherco or GasGas Pro. Maybe heavier bikes do have their positives as well as the negatives, or just that in wetter conditions and the lower grades the weight thing is not so much of an issue. It may be completely different if your sole focus is on dry grippy rocks or you like hopping everywhere.

By the end of the day both bikes were pretty much covered in muck so were probably 30kg heavier than a Sherco.... :)

Top Bottom