complete engine rubuild..starting afterwards

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Hey all!! I just completed by myself with a small bit of help from Honda a complete engine rebuild top and bottom on a 98 cr125! My question is now that it is finished and going back into the frame is there anything I need to know or do before starting it for the first time? I do not want to screw the new engine up just by not doing something before hand. Any help would be great!

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
Clean&oil the air filter. Make sure the jetting is still close. Not sure how long you have been rebuilding it, but i know its getting cold here mighty darn quick.Not sure if the seasons have changed on you yet ;)

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Thanks, Foggy with rain but still in the 60's. I have the bike and engine in my living room so it is warm,don't plan on firing it up in the house as of yet! :laugh:
Jetting is same didn't change that was told to move it up a notch but not sure if I should just leave it as I have not jetted a bike yet. Next step in learning...

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
You should be good to go. Just for future reference air temp does play a big part in jetting, but air density is the main thing to look at when jetting. Air density is found by calculating these four values:Air Temp
Dewpoint
Barometer
Altitude

Here's a link to an air density calculator. Once you figure out how this all works your jetting will be spot on all the time
http://www.cowtownmopars.com/airdensity.html

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Top and bottom, nice job already! Do not let it get hot, at least the first 15-20 minutes. Soon as the fluids come up to temperature, shut it down and let it cool off, 2 times would be plenty. Then ride it, no more than half throttle, 10 then 20 minutes, cool down in between. Should be broke in by then. Now you have 14 hours left till ringtime! Yeah, if you was pro! Have fun, and hope all goes well!

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Ok, so what is ring time? Is that the piston rings? You know this was so much fun that I am going to do another one on my sons KX80 next! Bad thing was the gash to the middle finger tightning a screw on the clutch area and slipped and hit a hose clamp.. bled like crazy..how do you guys do it?? :think: Maybe as a girl my skin is not so thick? :whoa:
Great thing about this whole rebuild is I got a job at the HOnda store selling on e-bay and working doing inventory and also get to help the lead mechanic do work...not bad for a old lady! Must have seen the fire in my eyes after a hell of a ride.....Life begins at 43 they say... :laugh:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
:cool: Glad you enjoyed yourself! You get used to slicing up your hands, I get to do it every day at work. :)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Dirtymotonut said:
Ok, so what is ring time? Is that the piston rings? You know this was so much fun that I am going to do another one on my sons KX80 next! Bad thing was the gash to the middle finger tightning a screw on the clutch area and slipped and hit a hose clamp.. bled like crazy..how do you guys do it?? :think: Maybe as a girl my skin is not so thick? :whoa:
Great thing about this whole rebuild is I got a job at the HOnda store selling on e-bay and working doing inventory and also get to help the lead mechanic do work...not bad for a old lady! Must have seen the fire in my eyes after a hell of a ride.....Life begins at 43 they say... :laugh:

Ring time == time for new rings.

How do we keep from cutting our hands? have you ever looked at a mans hands? You don't get hands like this by accident. There is a lot of scraped knuckles and sliced fingers that went into making these particular meat hooks. ;)

(I need a woman like you, I just wanna ride.. :laugh: )

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
(I need a woman like you, I just wanna ride.. :laugh: )[/QUOTE]

Ya, well I would be like a complete engine rebuild with a lame mechanic wasting your time cost wise...high maitinence and not very thorough,bike parts and bikes in the living room,always out riding,dirt bike magazines by the toilet,clymer manuals next to the bed, with a faint smell of gas and oil perfume,besides I would be wanting to race you all the time....

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Way to go dirtymotonut. :cool: That's very cool.

VintageDirt will be along shortly to ask you if you have a sister. ;)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Well somebody's gotta have a sister somewhere.

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
I do have 2 sisters both unmarried. The oldest was a foreman building bridges and the younger one is really cute ...I am the cutest of them all or so the mirror said so.
They don't ride dirt bikes but can fix cars. So let me know maybe can work out some sort of deal for ya...Just pay cash for my dating service...I need money to fix my bikes.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Dirtymotonut said:
(I need a woman like you, I just wanna ride.. :laugh: )

Ya, well I would be like a complete engine rebuild with a lame mechanic wasting your time cost wise...high maitinence and not very thorough,bike parts and bikes in the living room,always out riding,dirt bike magazines by the toilet,clymer manuals next to the bed, with a faint smell of gas and oil perfume,besides I would be wanting to race you all the time....[/QUOTE]

And just exactly what about that is supposed to be bad? ;)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Dirtymotonut said:
I do have 2 sisters both unmarried. The oldest was a foreman building bridges and the younger one is really cute ...I am the cutest of them all or so the mirror said so.
They don't ride dirt bikes but can fix cars. So let me know maybe can work out some sort of deal for ya...Just pay cash for my dating service...I need money to fix my bikes.

I have a CRF450R, therefore I am broke.

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
You may end up looking at me arse when I am passing you by with a dirt brown roost stuck to your drooling lip with a few pebbles to the left side of your carefully padded chest as you can't believe it was a girl that ambled past at such a fast rate of speed pink hair blowing in the wind....with a hint of oily gassy perfume. Dirt bike subscriptions are extrra cost...then I would have to take your 450 from you after the I win. :laugh:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH, Indy, I think she's callin' you out! Ridin' a 450 and gettin' spanked by a lady on a 125 would be pretty shamefull, lol.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Dirtymotonut said:
You may end up looking at me arse when I am passing you by with a dirt brown roost stuck to your drooling lip with a few pebbles to the left side of your carefully padded chest as you can't believe it was a girl that ambled past at such a fast rate of speed pink hair blowing in the wind....with a hint of oily gassy perfume. Dirt bike subscriptions are extrra cost...then I would have to take your 450 from you after the I win. :laugh:

Hmmm.. I've never been one to back down from a challenge.. ;)

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
I don't ride the cr125. I ride my xr 400r. It is proabably not as fast but ya know I have a few sneaky tricks up my helmet and could win. :nod: I could put mirrors on it so I could see the face behind me with drool...Please don't bite your tounge as it hangs out... :laugh:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Dirtymotonut said:
I don't ride the cr125. I ride my xr 400r. It is proabably not as fast but ya know I have a few sneaky tricks up my helmet and could win. :nod: I could put mirrors on it so I could see the face behind me with drool...Please don't bite your tounge as it hangs out... :laugh:

I could have really said something bad here, but in the interest of keeping this a family site, I'll refrain. ;)

I'll just go so slow, that you catch back up, then I win!! Whooot! :nener:

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
INDY :laugh: this is all you will see before the race...me running for my bike and pink hair flying in the wind... :nod:Possibly during and after also...enjoy!

Attachments

• run2.JPG
    run2.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
IndyMX...left behind.,,AWOL in response. Pink curlers in the track...trail for you to find the race...WHOOOT!!!! :laugh:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Indy, you better put down that beer and doin some push-ups, I sense an ass-whoopin' comin on!

Top Bottom