Completed 89-94 Pipe Mods - A MUST!!!

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I completed the pipe Mods on my 1994 KDX. Forget FMF pipes...just do the modification. I took pictures of the procedure, but my wife accidentally deleted all the digital pictures. Use a chisel and hammer to break the spot welds to separate the metal screen that retains the silencing material from the actual pipe-outer wall. Remove sections with vise grips. Clean out sections with degreaser and wipe clean. Mig welded the sections together at 10 amps (very easy to burn through if you try to do too much at a time). I have tried most of the modifications in this forum and this one is by far produced the most horse power. To meet EPA regulations for sound it only makes sense pipe companies (even FMF ?) would have to put in silencing material, thus removing horse power. Try this Modification!!!!

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
It sounds like a Kawasaki KX 250, with the distinct "ping", but not as quite as loud. I had changed to a 12 tooth sprocket to get more low end, but have changed back to 13 teeth because of the difference in performance after the pipe modification! The once carbon ladden spark plug is now golden brown and free of most carbon. The black junk once coming out of the silencer is gone.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
After ridding my KDX with above modifications, my friend wants to modify his exhaust pipe and install Boyesen power reeds in his KDX. I should be able to get photos of the exhaust mod to post on this forum then. Mark

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
I did that mod two years back. Best thing I ever did to the ol' KDX! It's easy, and pretty much free if you have a welder. It does sound more like a 250, but it's still faaaar more quiet. You won't regret doing the pipe mod!

Dave

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom