KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Altitude can affect pressure in the cylinder that could be measured with a compression test, but it does not affect compression ratio. Compression ratio is the ratio of the combustion chamber volume when the piston is at bottom dead center to the volume at top dead center. The ratio does not change when you bring the bike to a different altitude, it is a concrete number.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
My implied answer was that if he wants to understand the concept of compression ratio, then he shouldn't listen to Stricks post.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Dont forget that the effective compression ratio depends on exhaust port height as well.The comp ratio changes when the power valves open.Dont know the answers to the question-sorry.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by KLX4smoke
Good point Gunby, the definition in my post applies to four stroke engines only.

Actually your definition applies to STATIC (or mechanical) compression ratio for both two and four stroke engines, and the definition Marcus posted is DYNAMIC (or trapped) compression ratio for two-strokes. Dynamic compression ratio on a four stroke is measured from the intake valve close point in the cylinder. The dynamic compression ratio is the only one that has any real value, unless you are in marketing :)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
There in lies the partial answer Rich. To my knowledge KTM does NOT post compression ratios in their marketing materials, or their manuals. I do have an engine manual at home that I will also check. So, other than the do it youself measurement, and the type of compression 'ratio' you are trying to achieve, the only quick and easy down and dirty measure that the KTM owner has is a compression test (PSI). The 2-stroke variations that Marcus mentioned is probably why KTM declines to provide any measure.

So KLXsmoker, you slam me because I provide the only measure of compression that I have access to on one of the specific bikes in question, and then you provide a 4-stroke answer to a 2-stroke question. O.K.:silly:

I will post back whether or not the KTM engine service manual listl the Compression ratio. I am fairly certain that 'vanilla' owners manual/guide doesn't have the info.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I'm BAAAAAAAACK (or heeeeerrrrre's Johnnie):p :p

I checked 3 manuals and 2 websites - no compression 'ratios' given.

The 3 manuals: KTM engine (spare parts) manual, KTM owners handbook, KTM engine repair manual(the expensive one). No compression ratio listings, and no baseline compression readings given.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
I don't know much about KTM's and assumed that the 380 was a 4 stroke, so my bad. I didn't realize that it was a 2 smoker until Gunby mentioned exhaust ports.
The original post asked for an engine's compression ratio, and that's what I tried to help him understand. Even if the mechanical or "static" compression ratio is a useless number, it's still what the guy asked for.
Strick, I'm not slamming anybody. You came back at me kinda snotty and I simply answered your question.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I don't think the compression at the cylinder is what he's after.
You are looking for the comprssion ratio(s) of the piston, yes ted?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Jaybird, once again there in lies the problem. Other than the poster outside the U.S., I don't know even how to get these figures. I have never seen them in print, other than Eurorider's post.

Maybe Ted Jackson can tell us why he wants/needs them. Baseline compression figures can be supplied, as you have seen.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have seen those figures for the 00 125sx. Matter of fact, I'm sure I have it somewhere. Like Marcus said, there will be two different ratios given.
If ted had not said ratio, then I would assume he's looking for what you gave him. I'm certain there are answers to the ratio question, and I don't think it's something the MFG's are trying to hide.
ted, please weigh in here so we can put our purses away! :)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FYI on KTM top ends:
My friend recently put a piston in his '99 300 exc. He found that his squish band deck height from the factory was greater than the range specified in the manual. KTM offers several thicknesses of base gaskets for his bike. Using the right gasket (thinnest in his case) got him into spec and he found even more power :)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
DBD - that is a great point. The X dimension must be set, not taken for granted. I know many Katoomers that just match up the base gaskets, instead of checking the X dimension themselves. This is probably because the don't want to remove the head during a rebuild. The just slide the jug off head and all, not bother to set the Z or X dimensions., or clean up the power valve. Oh, Well!

Top Bottom