rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
just did a compression test on my 2003 rm 125 and for being the same top end in the bike for 2 years the bike has 180 psi:) kicked it with the throttle wide open and clutch pulled in and kicked it till the gauge stoped. i have one ? when i put a new spark plug in the bike it gets real tight

but after riding it for a while the spark plug comes loose?it like backs out :( is it because i run regular gas in it (87)?

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the spark plug is backing out, you are destroying the piston, with detonation, from running regular gas. It will keep running until a significant piece takes the cylinder with it, then the crank. Or it blows a hole through the piston. You are abusing the pressure readings, they mean nothing the way you are using it. Check it when its broke in, and keep checking it until there is a slight drop, then re-ring/top end. If the book says 7 hours, check it at 10, if you are not wfo much. A few chunks of debris or sand and all bets are off. The rings or piston was gone some time ago. Running long on re-ring/top ends will oval the cylinder bore. If you want to run regular gas, lower the compression and altar the port timing. Or just buy a kdx. Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Premium, the most expensive stuff. Send the top end to Eric at Forward Motion, or Pete Payne from this site. Tell them what you want. It should not be too much?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Some of those fuels are NOT for 2 strokes, and can cause issues. Check the companies web site, call and ask. Most mx bikes run fine on clean premium pump fuel.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Will running lean also cause detonation? a weird "clacking" type "hiccup" noise almost?
It's hard to explain...

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
1998RM250 said:
Will running lean also cause detonation? a weird "clacking" type "hiccup" noise almost?
It's hard to explain...

get some decent fuel and tighten your chain properly THEN let us know your remaining issues

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
The "clacking" is a fairly good description of what detonation sounds like. And running lean can cause this when engine is under a load. As others have said, dump all your 87 fuel and get the best premium you can locally find. Try to avoid ethanol in your gas if possible and get real gas (if you can find it). Then see what it does and report back. Don't try to save 30 cents a gallon by using 87 if something better is available.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
2 different posters 2strokerfun. 98rm250 guy, a lean engine does make some odd noises, it can melt parts, calling it detonation is really pushing it. Could be the chain, could be a few other things. Verify by checking the plug. Ethanol is not an issue directly, its the water that comes with it in pump applications.

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
ellandoh said:
get some decent fuel and tighten your chain properly THEN let us know your remaining issues

tighten your chain properly?

what does that have to do with anything?

even tho its tight

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Dumb question...is your plug installed tight enough? I knew a guy that was so worried about stripping the plug threads (he'd done it several times) that he never torqued it down tight enough and it backed out a lot.

Low octane gas causing detonation could be the real cause though.

On the chain, a chain that is loose and slaps around can sounds like engine trouble. Even a loose pipe gaurd or missing exhaust srping can be misleading.

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
RM_guy said:
Dumb question...is your plug installed tight enough? I knew a guy that was so worried about stripping the plug threads (he'd done it several times) that he never torqued it down tight enough and it backed out a lot.

Low octane gas causing detonation could be the real cause though.

On the chain, a chain that is loose and slaps around can sounds like engine trouble. Even a loose pipe gaurd or missing exhaust srping can be misleading.

its real tight when i install it

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I didn't want to post an entire new thread, but I put my new jetting specs in my last thread a few posts below this one compared to the old, maybe you guys can help me. Don't ever use 87 in your bike, at least run 93! I run 93 with yamalube 2R @ 32:1. My chain is tight, and I know its noise coming from the engine, I have a good ear for that stuff.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
rmrider45 said:
i meant the plug is real tight

This thread is getting "real tight"....Just run some premium gas - what's that now,,,92? Most of the stock bikes I own recommend 95 or higher but that's not happening at the local pumps, or is it?

Eric Gorr sells a real nice book(s) that cover bike set-up, maintenance, and repair. I recommend you get that and the owners manual, maybe a torque wrench too. :cool:

Top Bottom