CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
I did a compression test on my 97 CR250 yesterday, as this being my first time, I took off the gas tank(took fuel line off of petcock as well), removed spark plug, screwed in the compression gauge, and started kicking away until I noticed that the needle has peaked. It peaked at 210 psi. I know for 250's the range should be between 150 and 230 for stock that is. I opened up Eric Gorr's manual and read how he does the test. He stated to screw in the compression tester, hold the throttle wide open and push the kill button and kick until it peaks. So I get back on the bike and do that, and I heard alot of air noise and the gauge peaked at 150. My question is, since I was holding the throttle wide open and the fuel line not attched to the petcock which I am assuming the air noise was coming from, did I do any of this test right? My top end was re-done last february, and I only ride desert and dunes a weekend a month and the bike has no signs of needing anything. I was just curious. The 210 reading seemed right, but the 150 is bothering me. I know this is long and boring, but if you have any experience doing compression tests please let me know if I did the first check right. Eric Gorr said nothing about taking off the fuel tank. I have to to screw in the tester hose. There was no air leaks on my first test.

Thank you

Last edited:

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
210-220psi is where my 99 cr250 reads. I remove the plug, screw in the tester, pin the throttle, hold the kill switch, and kick. It only takes about 6 or 7 kicks to peak. I don't remove the tank, even though it's a little tough to screw in the tester. Even if air was being drawn in from the open carb, it shouldn't lower the compression reading since it's behind the reeds.

Top Bottom