computer background is blank( white) need help

kawicam125

Uhhh...
Mar 14, 2006
hey guys, for some time now, my desktop/background on my computer is blank/white. at first, it was a blue screen with red letters telling you that youre computer is infected with a virus, now its just blank. can you guys help me out. weve got norton ant-virus security and on trial with trend micro anti-spyware. thanx

kawicam125

Uhhh...
Mar 14, 2006
Chili, on properties, it says that the current background is not available neither is the modified. it also says that the connection is not ecrypted.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
go to the start menu> accessories > tools > system restore

restore your computer to a time before this happened

dont open any more emails unless you know the sender, no matter if she does look dirtier than your bike :nener:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
kawicam125 said:
just tried your idea ellandoh. i restored it to a day before it happened. didnt work.

:bang:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
all i can say then is ....... make sure your anti-virus ware is updated and run it , im sure you have but make sure it didnt need updates.

clear all temp files etc. go into add/remove programs and see if something is installed you dont know about, i got a free program(dont remember where actually might not have been free but cheap) called ultra wincleaner cleans unnecessary junk, registry, temp files etc. run something like that. go into task manager and see if there are any fishy looking processes runnning.....could give a clue??

caal geeksquad at bestbuy-last resort

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
This is a last resort, and it will cause you to loose all your files.

You may need to do a clean install. Do you have the XP cd's, or is Operating System on a hidden partition? Most olders Dells come with REAL XP cd,but most Compaqs,HP's,Gateways, and Emachines have a "hidden" partition that will let you do a system recovery that is on a 7-8 Gig Fat 32 partition.You can see it by click "start" and "My computer."

They also will usually allow you to make ONE copy (usually takes about 7-8 CD-R's) of the system recovery.,but for now you can just tap on the F10 keywhile its starting up and do a sysytem recovery from the partition.If you can get this to pull up click on "advanced options" and do a "destructive stystem recovery." This will re-format the hard drive and recover all drivers,applications.Just a warning all your data files,applications,and upgrades will be lost,so you'll have to re-install all that once your back online.

If it won't boot up by tapping on the F10 key, restart the computer and tap on the F8 key and select "safe Mode"and see if you can burn a set of CD's that will allow you to restore it.Click on start and "all programs" and look for "PC help and tools" and then look for a PC recovery cd-dvd creator. If you don't want to burn a set of CD's try using the (whatever brand) PC system recovery.This is different from the XP system restore that you've already tried.All that does is roll it back to the date you selected,but with this its going to wipe all the files from your hard drive,and re-install the OS like it was the day you bought it.If nothing else works this should take care of the problem,but you'll need to back up any important files.

If this doesn't help, maybe somebody a whole lot more computer savy than me will tell you how to get it up and running.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
this same crap has been happening to me off and on for a short time now. Not sure what is causing it cause my comp is usually pretty good and catching viruses and deleting them. I notice this normally happens when i wake up in the morning after my virus scan has been complete and if it finds any viruses it deletes them then restarts my comp and when I click on my browser to open up its comes up with a white background.

What I have to do is, go to the desktop screen, right click, properties, go to theme and change it, then go to desktop, change those settings, apply the new settings then restart my comp. After it boots back up I go and change the setting once again to how I want them and it normally takes care of the problem. Not really sure why but thats how I fix it on my comp.

What anti virus are you running?

I have AVG anti virus, microsoft anti spyware plus spybot search and destroy and this crap is still happening so who knows

captblue1

Sep 8, 2004
don't take it to best buy. i used to work for the geek squad. they are a rip off. download and run Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware SE. CCleaner is a good program for cleaning up the the computer. all are free. run them while in safe mode. besides a couple other free programs, you will do exactly what the geek squad does. you can send me the money instead. lol. a good free antivirus is AVG. you will probally have to do it a couple times to make sure it is clean. and make sure you do it again after you restart to make sure somehting doesn't come back.

kawicam125

Uhhh...
Mar 14, 2006
i forgot to tell you guys, the background/desktop is not completely black. all the icons/shortcuts are still there, its just like the place where you can put a photo on, like JBS racing in canada. so, that was probably something i should have said in the beginning. sorry

Top Bottom