Concerning Yamaha Power Valve failures

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Thanks for the info, I have two more ?s. I disconnected the exhuast valve from the push rod, and moved the Exhaust valve to the extreams while slowly pushing the kick starter down, it missed the piston, everytime. Do I need to replace the valve? Next the I mesured the stop and it fall int owhat eric gorr says is acceptable so this also leads me to beleive that I do not need to replace the valve or the stop. True or not?

On a side note. I am not sure the valve was functional when I got the bike(being that the pushrod bolt was less than finger tight), would having it disconected harm the bike in any way? Also could I not put a stop on the rightside of the motor(by adding a tang under the screw that would have a limiter that would stop the exhaust valve lever, outta brass), or has this been tried ? If I try this I will post a photo and directions.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Look inside the exhaust port. If your powervalve is hitting it will obviously do serious damage. The lucky part is this. If you catch it early enough it will polish a line on the piston. Eventually it will destroy everything, but you do have some time to catch it. The line is impossible to miss.

The stop sounds like a good idea. Still it is easy enough to file a little more clearance on the edge of the p/v.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Ok I just looked at the piston, no line, so thats a good thing. I will still file the valve for a little extra. Thanks for all the advice and help, this thing confused the heck outta me. I am learning all the details of a 2 stroke with this bike. If I have a few more ?'s I will post them here.
Lok

Top Bottom