Yamaha DT200RG strange intermittent noise

DT200RG

Nov 13, 2005
Yamaha DT200RG strange intermittent noise
G'day - I have a 1995 Yamaha DT200RG that has started to make a strange intermittent noise from the engine (in neutral when either hot or cold) that sounds like a metallic "shring". The noise lasts for a second but it occurs every five seconds on average.

It happens generally as I give her a bit of a rev but I haven't let her run for too long as I reckon if it continues that the whole bike may go BANG! and what may be not so hard to fix could become very costly!

I suspect possibly that the powervalve may be slightly contacting either the piston ring (valve stop may be worn) or that the reeds may be getting tired. I am yet to get the reeds out / pipe off to sus it over, but then I could be totally wrong with the diagnosis. Fuel is standard 32:1 with Castrol TTS oil (premixed) as the previous owner had the oil pump fail.

Any DT200R jockeys come across this before?

Also - anyone know where I can get an online manual for the bike? I got one for a TZR 125 but had no luck getting one from the Yami dealers locally here :bang:

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
First of all you have tos find whrere it comming from.
Take long screwdriver with big handle.
Put your ear to the handle and start to listen the engine by probbing with the screwdriwer's tip in different places.
Im sure you will find the exact location of the noise.
Check the main bearings or the clutch.

DT200RG

Nov 13, 2005
Found the problem to be the 2 stroke oil pump - or at least what was left of it. The previous owner had disconnected it and ran premix, but the pump body left in the motor had been gutted. Over time it seems that the pump housing had filled with dirt and also water, so the shaft worm drive was turning in a load of crappy filth. No wonder it was squealing away.

I fixed it by cleaning out the old pump and blocking off the old oil feed pipes, and I made a cover for the top of the pump (where the old pump vavle and cable pulley used to be). Before screwing the new cover down on the pump I filled her with oil, so the oil pump drive shaft now swims in oil. For the meantime she'll still be running premix until I can put together a new pump and throttle cable assembly.

Top Bottom