airtime00

Aug 19, 2007
hi im new to the forum and im wanting to get a dirtbike but im not sure if i should get a 450 or yz250 . i think i want an 08 cr450f but i duno what valve adjustments are and how often id need to do it (or how hard it is) and do the 07s still have valve problems?

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'10 170lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? quite agresive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? dunes and about 10 mx races ; maybe a few desert races not sure
4) Do you have any riding experience?yes but not on a dirtbike
5) Do you think you will race ? yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? no
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 2 stroke is beter for dunes but 4 is beter for mx so i dont have any preference
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? i have acces to any dealer
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 7000 and about 1000 in mods
10) Do you live in California?no
11) Your age? 17
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

atm i have a moded yfz450 and banshee and ive been riding since i was 10 i think and only took 1 year off, ive ridden a trials bike about 4 times but thats about all the experience ive had with a 2 wheel bike. i have done abit of searching but still dont know what bike i should get , the mx races are open class so there is no 250f class hence the reason i dont want one and i dont know how a yz250 will hang with 450's . ive been told that a 450 is to much power but i think i can handle it . btw im leaning towards a cr450f because its abit faster and ive red 4 strokes are easier to handle.its gona be out in a week or 2 and the yz250 wont be out till 45 days + (dont asky why lol) ohh btw i forgot about the 250sx ktm i could get that but im not sure how it handles or if they have any problems or how they compare to a yz250 , if its better thana yz250 and available soon im prety sure il get that instead of a cr450f

thanks

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I wouldn't exactly recommend a 450f as a 1st bike purchase. Take your yfz450 and remove like 130lbs of weight, now you have a 450f bike. Thats means a 450f bike is about 60% lighter than your 450f quad.

First of all it sounds like you know Yamaha well. If you don't listen to the rest of this post, at least buy a yamaha of some type. You probably already know how to work on them the best anyway.

Secondly, I would recommend a 250f or a 250 2 stroke. MX racing is 90% rider 10% bike. You do not need a 450f to be competitive, I promise.

Top Bottom