m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
when you guys refer to something like it lack in the low to mid range. or this parts with low to mid power. do you mean low to mid in the gear or do you mean, like 1st gear being low and 2nd, 3rd being mid? thanks.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i know but do you mean low to mid in say first gear. like the low and mid end of first gear. or over the entire rpm range of the all the gears.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
The RPM that the engine starts to make power/torque regardless of what gear you're in.

ie: A Supercross engine is tailored towards low to mid range power so they can get going and make the jumps exiting the corners. The outdoor MX engines are generally mid to top end with a higher rev limit.

Feb 4, 2008
Each gear has low, mid, and high range. It's all about throttle! 1/8 throttle low range, 1/2 throttle mid range, and WOT high range. Instance - My bike run good at low to mid range, but boogs when it hit the high range (highier RPM's)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
RidingTheRockies said:
It's all about throttle! 1/8 throttle low range, 1/2 throttle mid range, and WOT high range.

I would consider it to be all about RPM, regardless of throttle setting or the gear you are in.

If you are in too high a gear, going slow and open the throttle wide you are still going to have the "low end" response from your engine.

How the engine response ultimately effects you may depend on the gear you are in. If you are in first gear and on flat ground the bike will accelerate very quickly and pass from "low to mid to high" very quickly. If there is any "bog" during this transition it would be very noticable.

In the higher gears the transistion between "ranges" is much slower and you may not experience any ill effects that are the result of a sudden change. If you have a range that just doesn't work, however, the higher gears can really suffer. For example, in first gear you might survive lugging the engine where in 3rd gear you might just come to a stop.

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom