Consitering a KTM 250, Questions...

chris_1001

May 11, 2006
Hi All,

I'm consitering a 2006 KTM 250 XC or XCW...

I ride New England woods, trails and powerlines.

First, I'm Not sure which of the two would be better.

Second, What would be the best modes right off the bat?

Third, do I realllllllly need a new bike (I have a 1997 KDX 220). Convince me...

My mind want's one but logic says stick with what I got... I'm working a deal on one so I need to figurre this out by the weekend...

Arrrg!!! What to do,...

Any help would be great!

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Not sure on the XC / XCW - If it were me I would go with the XC

you will need a spark aresstor other than that no mods needed except the usual to suite your personal preference (springs - front and rear to fit your weight KTMs are very sensative, bar bend, seat, steering stabilizer, hand gaurds, etc...) Also need lights if that fits your requirements.

mixed

Oct 5, 2005
I'm no expert but in the last week I have been on a '01 KDX200 and an '01 200EXC, as I am looking for a lite weight fo the mountains. The KTM is at least twice the bike as the KDX. I'm not knocking the Kawi but there really is no comparison in my opinion. I had even made a deal to pay way too much for the KTM when the fellow found he still had a lein on the title. Now I may by a '03 250 EXC site unseen from a dealer I trust. Used bikes are hard to come by here and it costs a fortune to drive 400 miles to look at the few that are there.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I had an older 250 EXC, wide ratio trans like the new XCW,,, and I loved it, wanted another one but couldn't find one used,, couldn't even find a use MXC,, like the new XC.. So I got an SX, added a flywheel weight and EXC front sprocket.. Both work great, but I really liked the tractor low 1st when doing slippery/rocky water crossings, and the extra speed and fuel economy with the high top gear of the wide ratio trans. Given a choice I'd take the XCW.

chris_1001

May 11, 2006
I peeked at a 06' 250XC last night, didn't really spend much time there as I had someplace to be and did not talk to a salesman.

I'm still not 100% sure what to do. My issue is I can afford it, but then I'll want to toss about another $1000 at it for extras. So it will end up sorta pricey and I could us that cash for alot of other things.

Can someone define "wide" vs "normal gearing"?

Sigh... What to do...

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
chris_1001 said:
I peeked at a 06' 250XC last night, didn't really spend much time there as I had someplace to be and did not talk to a salesman.

I'm still not 100% sure what to do. My issue is I can afford it, but then I'll want to toss about another $1000 at it for extras. So it will end up sorta pricey and I could us that cash for alot of other things.

Can someone define "wide" vs "normal gearing"?

Sigh... What to do...

I'm not sure about the 06, but on the older ones the MXC and the EXC had the heavier flywheel and the MXC and SX had the same trans ratios and the EXC had a very low 1st a higher top gear with the ones inbetween were the same.. For most riding I never use 1st or high gear so the MXC and EXC seem the same. But as I said, I really like the low on the EXC in tough slippery situations.

chris_1001

May 11, 2006
Well, I bought a 2006 KTM250XC last night and picked it up today.

Took it for a few runs down a gravel road. Needs a sixth gear bad!!! I might up the front sprocket a tooth...

Now to get wet and muddy this weekend.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Welcome to the Dark Side :ride:

Congrats on the new Bike :cool:

Top Bottom