MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I'm not sure this belongs in this section, but here goes anyway....

Both my son and I wear soft contact lenses. We both have a lot of problems with contacts drying out while riding. My son's lost a couple lenses while riding. I've been fortunate to be able to blink them back on, but at times it's very hard to see properly and is distracting.

I'm not sure why this happens. At first I thought it was from the wind coming through the goggles. However, I don't have this issue while wearing sunglasses on my road bike going 70 down the road. Maybe it's dust getting through the goggle screen?

Does anyone know of a way to solve this problem? Thanks ahead of time.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
It's the dust. I just use one-day disposable contact lenses, and only ride MX so I can change between motos if need be.

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
I have them and never had a problem.Maybe you aren't getting enough air to them.Just a thought since my are dryer when I do wear goggles than when I don't.:think

SPEEDSHIFTER

Mar 1, 2002
Contacts falling out

If you feel that the dust is a contributor to your problem then the best solution is to put a light oil like baby oil (use only a cosmetic or cooking oil, for other oils may be harmful to your eyes) on the venting foam of your goggles this will prevent the dust from penetrating through the goggle frame. note: do not put the oil on the foam your face will be touching just the thin venting foam between the lens part of the frame and the face foam part of the frame. On some goggle there is venting foam on the upper part of the lens, do not over look this area, any area of venting foam not oiled will allow dust to come through! This is also a trick set up for desert racers or any one who rides or races in dusty conditions! This will also help keep the inside of your lens dust free and clean! If you still seem to get dust inside the goggle check for tears in the venting foam for this is a common over looked problem. If the foam is torn it is sometimes possible to repair it. I use crazy glue or super glue to try and mend any tears. You must be very careful to use as little glue as possible for any area you glue you will no longer have any venting there. This trck is best performed on small tears but with a little practice it can be used on larger tears as well! Make sure you allow the glue to dry properly before you use the goggles, for the chemicals in these glues is not good for your eyes. For badly damaged goggles the obvious solution is to replace them! Good luck!:p

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Cool trick!!!

one question. What do you use to clean the foam with after the ride??? Warm water and soap, or something else.

i also have contacts but really don't wear them except to ski. I rode last year with glasses under the goggles. i was thinking of riding with contacts this year. I was wondering how they would be in the dust and the dirt. i was worried about just this sort of thing!! ...mmmm what to do??

SPEEDSHIFTER

Mar 1, 2002
Keep the goggles vent foam clean

keeping the vent foam clean is important for proper air flow! The best way to keep your goggles clean is to remove the lens carefully and clean them by hand with warm soapy water, try to use a mild detergent if possible! The foam on your goggles is fragile so be careful not to put any tears in the foam, its also possible to pull away the foam from the frame and not notice the gap or hole. Carefully install your lens and inspect your goggles thoroughly for tears and such. Take care when removing and re-installing the lens because this is the most common time to damage the goggle! If any damage is detected, repair or replace at this time as needed! (for repair tips look up on my earlier reply under SPEEDSHIFTER) For all those with deep pockets or for those who can't find the time to do it right, just pull the lens and throw them in the washer with the rest of your gear, just don't forget the inspection after you re-install the lenses! Once the goggles are dry you can oil the vent foam for your next ride! Don't over oil this will just make a mess and if you get oil on the lens you will need to remove it, to clean it properly. Note: it is very difficult to install a lens without getting oil on it after the goggle vent foam has been oiled! Always install the lens before you oil the vent foam! I oil the vent foam by dipping a Q-tip into the oil, then I dab the Q-tip on the outside of the vent foam. Don't over oil, a small amount is all it takes! Just be sure all the vent foam is slightly moist with oil, any area that is not slightly moist will be an entrance for dust! (DO NOT OIL ANY OF THE FACE FOAM!!!) (TAKE CARE IN YOUR OIL SELECTION, I USE BABY OIL!) (CAUTION PERFUMED OILS MAY CAUSE YOU TO TEAR OR HAVE AN ALLERGIC REACTION!) GOOD LUCK!!! ;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
No matter what tricks I tried I could never get contacts to stay in on a long ride. Some things like blinking often did help, but I quit fighting it and went to goggles over glasses. A Qwik-Strap is a must for goggles over glasses.

Optik

Mod Ban
Dec 27, 2001
Hmm would it be possible to get perscription lenses for goggles? I used to have that problem swimming but I bought perscrition swim goggles and they work fine. I dont know if they have the same thing for motorbiking but its worth a look.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
They do make prescription lenses that fit in goggles. These are great until you want to take your helmet off for a ride break in the middle of the woods and you have to leave your goggles on to see! :confused:

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
I saw this in Dirt Rider for rx lenses
www.pro-vue.com 1-800-548-8354
www.team-mo.com 1-888-rx goggle
I wear contacts also .if I don't constantly blink my eyes get really dry & blurred
I've thought about rx goggles , but if I took them off I'd run into more things

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Do a search on my user name for more info on the Pro-Vue lens inserts.

I wear contacts and rarely have problems with them coming out. Usually it's when I'm on a fireroad - going fast enough to get too much air flow thru the goggles and my eyes dry out. I use re-wetting drops BEFORE riding, blink a lot and carry disposable re-wetting drops in my fanny pack. I'd rather deal with the contacts instead of my glasses under the goggles or the prescription inserts. I sweat like a pig/overheat very easily and glasses tend to fog up.

Brian

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom