First ride since shoulder injury report

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
YAY!!! So for the first time since the beginning of September I threw a leg over my YZ125. We headed to Stanton, MI (hour and a half from us) to check out Moreland's motocross. We decided on this track because it is open every day of the week, unless it's the weekend and they are holding races. Also, we had never been there and thought we would check it out.

We arrived and found it difficult to figure out the sign-up area. A sing pointed to sign up, but that was for race days. After walking all over the place we went up to their house and saw the sheet on the front door :bang: . Turns out there was a sign stating this information. The only problem was the sign was AFTER the entrance to the track. After we got that out of the way we headed to the parking area and unloaded.

First look at the track it seemed really easy. It had the gravely kind of hard pack clay. It rained a lot earlier in the week so there was some standing water and some of the jump faces were kind of rutted from the rain running down. There were a lot of small doubles, a double, double, triple, double rythem section. Three very large doubles, switchbacks and a couple very large bowl turns.

Before we went out we had to put on our new Leatt braces and make sure everything was adjusted okay. (I'll talk more about that later)

We headed out to the track and took a slow lap to learn the track. One lap is all we needed, the track was really easy. After our little parade lap, Phil took off and left me covered in YZ250 roost. I didn't bother to chase him, I wasn't as comfortable as he was. I picked up my pace though and tried to get comfortable with everything. I also wanted to make sure my shoulder was going to hold up. I have been working on the strength in it and didn't want to push it yet.

I made my way through the track and started to feel more and more comfortable. I started doing most of the doubles on my third lap. All but the big ones anyway.

We rode for quite awhile before it was time to pull off and eat some lunch. After lunch I really started to get back into the swing of things. I was getting smoother on the jumps and getting through the turns better. I wanted to attempt the big doubles, but one of the wind gusts caught Phil and pushed him a little more than he liked. So I decided I didn't want get pushed around by the wind and rolled them :(.

Phil decided he wanted to go tear it up on my 125 so I took control of his 250. That bike has soo much power. I'm not used to wheeling out of turns. I rode that for a few laps, but I can't get comfortable on that bike. I feel like it's taking me for a ride. I did do the rythem section on it though :nod: . So that felt good, but I can't turn that bike or ride it very well. On his third lap on my bike Phil cased one of the big doubles and decided he wanted his bike back. Fine by me! So we switched and were able to ride for another 30min before it was time to pack it up.

morelands2.jpg

My shoulder didn't give me any problems, until I cased the triple in the rythem section...it's a little sore now, but should be good by Monday. Monday we are headed to Portland MX with fellow DRNer D. Leathers. So we are definitely looking forward to that.

LEATT BRACE

leatt.jpg

We just received our Leatt braces on Wednesday. Perfect timing too! We got them adjusted at home and figured out how to adjust our MSR Impact chest protectors to fit it under them. They fit pretty good with that CP and we didn't have to cut anything down. First lap I was wearing a sweatshirt and the whole ensemble wasn't working very well together. So back to the trailer to remove the sweatshirt. After that it felt good and I headed back out. I didn't notice it at all. It never got in the way and my helmet never hit. I can turn my head side to side and don't get caught on it in anyway. The only time it gets in the way is when I put my goggles on. We got sponsored by M2R helmets this year and their shells are HUGE compared to our previously worn HJCs. So it's hard to reach up and get the goggles on. Other than that it never got in the way.

I think it's definitely worth the investment. I hope I never have to put it to use.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I bet it feels great to be out on the bike again. Enjoy Portland Monday, be ready for some sand.

You were up in my area today. I live ten minutes from Morelands MX track, but I have never rode there or any other MX track. I did see a Yamaha in the back of a white pick-up leaving that direction today. Was that you?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Nope, we have a white Explorer w/ a silver 6x12.

It did feel really good. I'm sure I'll feel better each trip out.

Moreland's is okay, actually...it probably wouldn't be a bad track to learn on. The jumps are doable and you can see pretty much everything.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Cool... glad to hear the shoulder is feeling good, nice ride report!! :ride:

Phil

Nov 17, 1999
The track seemed like a weird combination of hard gravel and sand. I think the natural soil is probably very sandy and they just added clay for the jumps and berms. I was having a blast on that 125, but came out of the hard packed turn rolling on the throttle so as not to slide out, then bogged in the deep sand right before the jump face:yikes:
Next time I'll be sure to square it up and pin it:aj:

Top Bottom