OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Lately I've been practicing standing while riding. I figure the more I stand, the more comfortable I'll be doing it. However, I have yet to realize any benefit from standing other than over logs and bumpidy bumps in the straights which I've always done from a standing position.
Mainly, I can't seem to reach the gear shift or rear brake while standing. The clutch is also more difficult to operate but I can adjust it farther forward to make it more accessible which forces my arms into "attack" position while seated. The foot controls are another story. If I were to adjust them for standing then I couldn't use them as effectively while seated. Plus no matter where I adjust them to, I can't manipulate my feet around while standing especially with boots that offer mobility similar to that of a plaster cast! :bang:
Any suggestions as to how to overcome these obstacles?

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
OldTimer said:
Lately I've been practicing standing while riding. I figure the more I stand, the more comfortable I'll be doing it. However, I have yet to realize any benefit from standing other than over logs and bumpidy bumps in the straights which I've always done from a standing position.

The only time you really want to stand is when the terrain dictates it. If you're on a flat surface, standing takes more energy than sitting. As the terrain gets more rough, it becomes more efficient to stand. This is because sitting while riding over bumps takes much more energy to control yourself and the bike (not to mention the arm pump you'll get from not being able to ride "smooth"). If you don't care how fast you're going or how long you last riding, sitting isn't a problem. And most good riders cheat and sit where they can on a track to conserve energy.

OldTimer said:
Mainly, I can't seem to reach the gear shift or rear brake while standing. The clutch is also more difficult to operate but I can adjust it farther forward to make it more accessible which forces my arms into "attack" position while seated. The foot controls are another story. If I were to adjust them for standing then I couldn't use them as effectively while seated. Plus no matter where I adjust them to, I can't manipulate my feet around while standing especially with boots that offer mobility similar to that of a plaster cast! :bang:
Any suggestions as to how to overcome these obstacles?

I wouldn't adjust the controls for standing. I never needed too and I don't think most people do. I would suggest looking at pictures of the attack position while standing and the braking position while standing. Then go to a field and practice accelerating and braking in these positions. Maybe even video tape it. If you're standing but your elbows are still down or your rear is too far back etc it's going to be tough to operate the controls.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom