irq21

Aug 23, 2006
I just found this forum and thought I would get some real world opinions.

I guess I'll get the factual info out here first...

1) I'm 5'4" ~140-150lbs

2) I was very athletic/aggressive in HS but have slacked of the last 4 years, hopefully a bike will help get me active again (I'm not a sloth or anything, just don't play lots of sports anymore)

3) I would like to try racing, but I realize I have a lot of learning to do first, mainly I want to do fields and off road parks.
I live pretty close to Cooper Creek (Deepwater) in Missouri.
A street legal bike would be nice, but I feel like I need to learn how to ride before getting on the roadway with 18 wheelers, blue hairs, and the other really great drivers.

4) Do you have any riding experience? ... on a quad yeah, I've been on a bike less than 10 time ever.

5) Do you think you will race ? ... maybe someday

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?... I can do the basics, but like to leave transmission/differential type work on my car/truck to a professional

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? .... not really price and performance matter more than brand

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? ... I have a local Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda dealer I prefer the Suzuki dealer, but the others are trustworthy enough

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? I would like to stay under $2500

10) I have been around utility atvs since I could walk, and just in the past few years have been starting to get into (be able to almost afford) sport quads.

So thats pretty much my story, what do you guys/gals recommend and why?

irq21

Aug 23, 2006
I have been on the lookout for a 125 2-smoke or a 250 4-poke. The problem is I just dont know enough about bikes to price them, and dealers think new ones are made of gold. I dont really think buying a new bike is a good idea anyway, because I will be downing it more than once.

Am I correct in thinking that there realy isnt any practical difference to a beginner in the different brands (honda, yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki, ktm, husky etc). Sure they are different bikes, but as someone that doesnt really have biases built up yet will I even notice the difference?

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
You can search the net and this site and find reviews of the different bikes/years. It helps some. But as I've told my friends, its the bike that is available at the price you want to pay that you end up getting. Once you have a bike, many modifications can be made to make it 'fit' you better.

Now, the next bike you get, you may have a better idea of what you want. Once we have a bike, we tend to trade bikes w/friends. That way, you get a better feel for what the different bikes are like.

Also, as said, a 125 2stroke mx style bike, may be a good fit. The 250 4strokes are also great bikes. You may have a harder time finding one in your price range, though.

dave

Last edited:

monkeyonahill

Aug 12, 2006
Ya, just get a used bike, just a couple of years they drop a couple grand off the price they once were. I'd say a 125 2-stroke b/c the 250F's run a higher price. you can usually find 125's for the price range you're looking for, easily! :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom