Mar 16, 2007
ok so I found this guy selling this bike. Do you think it would be cheaper to just buy this bike and put the egine in my bike?

1994 Honda CR 125
Runs, has 180 psi comp, and the crank feels good.
The Bad:
F+R rims cracked, and have frozen spokes
Fork seals blown, loose swingarm, sterring stem, and linkage bearings
$250 OBO

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
ok so I found this guy selling this bike. Do you think it would be cheaper to just buy this bike and put the egine in my bike?

1994 Honda CR 125
Runs, has 180 psi comp, and the crank feels good.
The Bad:
F+R rims cracked, and have frozen spokes
Fork seals blown, loose swingarm, sterring stem, and linkage bearings
$250 OBO

If the engine in his bike truly is good, yes, it would be cheaper than a rebuild on yours (rebuilding would likely be ~$300 or so, doing it yourself). But without inspecting it thoroughly, you could get burned there as well, so it is not without risk. Another benefit is that you would have a complete parts bike, save for the damaged rims and spokes. The fork seals are a relatively easy replacement, so nothing to worry about.

Mar 16, 2007
kx125412 said:
Really all you should have to do is drain out your tranny oil, flush it through a couple times, take off your cylinder and dump out all the coolant, redo the top end and get a new headgasket.

I drained the oil, I dont know what you mean flush it through a couple times though. Like flush it with watter? And I got that bolt loose, so now I can take off the cylinder, ordered a head gasket and Im trying to get away without redoing the top end because it was just bone before this happened. How do you flush it through a couple times?

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
When he said flushing he basically means put some oil back in the bottom end, then drain it out again. I would drain it, LIGHTLY crank the engine over with the kickstart (spark plug out) 5-10 times, then drain the oil.

Your bike might run fine for a while, but something will eventually break down again and you will be rebuilding it.

Take the advise of people who have been where you are before. Take the whole engine out of the bike, tear it down, put new gaskets in it and put it back together. It will be a good learning process.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
TimberPig said:
Have you ever left it sitting in there for a couple weeks before draining it and getting it running again? .

Yeah, as a matter of fact I have.

I had a small outboard go for a dunk in saltwater at the start of a week long vacation. The first day of this trip was a stop at a spot where I go abalone diving (Mendicino, California). The dive didn't exactly go according to plan...

I sent the outboard home with one of my dive buddies and the family and I continued our vacation, not returning home until the Sunday of the following weekend. I didn't get the motor back from my buddy until the weekend after that so it sat for just over two weeks before I could tend to it. Once I got the ignition dried out it started up and was fine.

Rod

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Yeah, as a matter of fact I have.

I had a small outboard go for a dunk in saltwater at the start of a week long vacation. The first day of this trip was a stop at a spot where I go abalone diving (Mendicino, California). The dive didn't exactly go according to plan...

I sent the outboard home with one of my dive buddies and the family and I continued our vacation, not returning home until the Sunday of the following weekend. I didn't get the motor back from my buddy until the weekend after that so it sat for just over two weeks before I could tend to it. Once I got the ignition dried out it started up and was fine.

Rod

I never said it wasn't possible to get lucky and have it hold together, just that it is unlikely and doesn't normally go that way. On your outboard, you got lucky.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Maybe, but I would give it a shot instead of tearing the motor down to change all the bearings.

Rod

I think I'd tear it down and inspect at least, a gasket kit is cheap, having a thrown rod take out a set of cases or a cylinder isn't. He might get lucky, and not have damage and it might last if cleaned out and reassembled properly, but he might just as easily have rusted bearings that will blow at once. At least if it is torn down, inspected and thoroughly flushed out, he has the chance to inspect it and confirm the condition of the engine, with less risk than simply chancing it and running it with little more than a drain, replace the gasket and go.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you want to live dangerous,then take the head and on a flat surface with a full piece of 180 grit emery paper,lightly draw figure eights and flatten the sealing surface of the head.Clean,new gasket and PROPERLY torqued it should work.Wd 40 will help when sanding,good luck. Oh,and a new head is not much money,that other deal on the 125 would be sweat for you and a manual would be worth its weight in gold!

Mar 16, 2007
i took the engine competely out, took the whole cylinder off. took both cases on either side of the bike off. when I took the cylinder off the piston slid out from the cylinder but was still inside the engine. this is your cranks and rods right? you guys said if coolant or water got down in there it would ruin them. well with the cylinder off I took the engine and flipped it upside down in an effort to get any coolant/water that may have gotten in there out. nothing came out. does this mean that no coolant got into my cranks and rods? if so thats a good thing and meand I just need new gaskets and a top end correct? Thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the big end of the rod and crank bearings are good,my problem comes that I would not stick it back together with out changing the crank seals.The clutch side should be easy,but the rotor side,hard.Where do you suspect the anti freeze came from?

Mar 16, 2007
when the head gasket blew, so i dont know how to work on bikes and once I took it apart. all I did was take the cylinder off, but the piston stayed connected to the main motor. I thought coolant got down there but when I flipped it upside down to get it out nothing came out, which means no coolant got in there right?

there was alot of coolant in my pipe, and also in the carb. im thinking if I just got it out of the carb and put on a new headgasket the bike would work. I just want to make sure my cranks and rods are ok, if no coolant got in there they should be, butsince I dont know much about fixing them I dont want some jerk mechanic to rip me off and say I need a new bottem end when I really dont.

Top Bottom