totoro

Jul 28, 2002
I have a (new to me) 2000 KDX200 which I took on it's first trail ride last weekend. It was a fairly hot day 95F.
My daughter (who is just learning to ride) was with me, so most of the time was spent in first or second gear going fairly slow.
About mid-day we noticed coolant dripping from a 1/8" hole about 1/4" away from the drain plug on the bottom of the water pump. :ugg:

I have a service manual on order but it won't be here for a few days so I thought I would just ask here.

Is this a normal overflow caused by overheating?
Or do I have leaking waterpump seals?
What is the purpose of this hole?

BTW, The crankcase oil does not seem to be cloudy so I don't think any coolant is leaking into the case.

Thanks in advance.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
The purpose of the hole is to indicate a bad waterpump seal,which I think unfortunatly is what you have.You will have to remove the right hand case in order to replace the seal,you should check the impeller shaft and see if it is badly worn,there maybe a grove cut into the shaft,you might want to replace the bearings(available from a local bearing shop #608 if I remember right)they are fairly cheap.You can try a quick trick that might help get some brake cleaner and spray a bit into the hole, it might swell up the seal and stop the leak.

Top Bottom