Coolant leak?

eunuch

May 23, 2002
I have a new 2002 KDX that has only just come back from its 3rd outing in the form of the local hare and hounds. Hot day of 30 celcius (around 86 degrees in US talk :D) and 3 hours of tight, twisty, lucky to get into 3rd kind of race.

Before the race I noticed coolant was on the low mark. Topped it up to full while the bike was cold and in an upright position. By the end of the race it was down to low mark again.

I might be premature asking the question before I change/check the oil for any milky residue, but is this something I should worry about? I'm not sure under those conditons if I would expect to lose some coolant. I want to be sure I make the most out of my 6 mth warranty if I have a duff bike.

Paranoid of Portsmouth, UK. Any advice welcome ...

Darren

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
eunuch
Your coolant will fluctuate due to temp. The resavuar(sp) contains the over flow from your Radiators. It acts as a resivour(sp). As your engine heats up it expands there fore drawing coolant in. As it cools it dispells(sp) it back into the tank. If your ride doesn't have the same levels at the end of a ride as it does at the beginning I would replace the cap. If the cap isn't releasing pressure at about 14psi it's boiling off and out the overflow tube.

Happy Trails!
Phillip

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
HaRumph! ;)

If your cap does NOT release pressure at 14psi (or whatever), it's not going to make it to the overflow tube. The tube is where it goes when the cap DOES release pressure...and then it goes to your reservoir! HaRumph!!

Don't replace your cap just cuz you lose coolant out the reservoir. That (coolant loss from RESERVOIR...harumph!) is a known issue not related to a failed cap.

......not to say the cap can't fail...but that's another issue.

There 'ya go! I count THREE of 'em!! :)

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Cany, you are quite an eloquent poster, such skill and grace - harumph!
You mention that coolant loss is a know issue not related to a failed cap, what then is the issue. I've encountered the same problem that Eunuch encountered(2 days ago).

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
At the quite serious risk to me of (again) being invited to kiss your A$$..

As eunuch already knows from the search he did (thread is linked above), coolant is regularly bounced, sluiced, downside-upped and leaked out of the reservoir. The 'coolant loss' he spoke of was FROM the reservoir, not from the rads.

That being so, it (likely) has nothing at all to do with the rad cap.

Certainly rad caps can fail, resulting in premature loss of vital fluid. That's not the issue in this case.

The cap on the reservoir is pesky...it's easy to install cocked, and the cap gasket is easily mis-placed (sic) in the cap...or misplaced altogether (lost).

okey dokey?

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Pucker up Cany. My semi-ignorance of the kdx is obvious, my elated, at times childish reaction/questions stem from a 25 year wait to get my motorcycle. I'm a middle-aged dad of 3, and the worst part is that I'm a teacher, and I constantly hear "wadya buy that for," "your gonna kill yurself," etc.. I live in "quadville" a conservative community, where the only bike/riding feedback comes from a magazine, or a student w/a bike and an attitude. I'm as inquisitive as they come, and I want to know everything I can about my bike. I do search my topics before my posts, and might not be satisfied w/ my findings at times, hoping to find more, I post a question. So I'll risk thanking you for your feedback, with the hopes of sarcastic accusations set aside. I am the student now and learned today that the several "spills" on my last ride resulted in my lost coolant. For what its worth, you were not the butt of my kiss my ass tirade.

"Okey Dokey" - Barney - The purple dinosaur.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…