Coolant

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Anyone use Prestone low tox? Cheaper than engine ice and other than slick marketing on the part of engine ice these coolants seem to be the exact same thing.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Motorcycle Coolant: The magic to look for on the label is "silicate, phosphate, and borate free". "Safe for aluminum" is not enough.

Reliably the easiest stuff to find which meets the -free spec is
Texaco/GM Dex-Cool. Under $7/gallon. I found the Havoline Extended Life Anti-freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL at Walmart. :)

http://www.havolineusa.com/Products/body_antifreeze.html

"General Motors Corporation has recognized Havoline® Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL®* as a breakthrough coolant, issuing GM's first DEX-COOL®* license for 5 year/150,000 mile protection. Extended service intervals are made possible through a patented organic acid corrosion inhibitor system which eliminates the need for silicates, phosphates, borates, nitrites, and amines. The elimination of these additives is significant because many of them are abrasive to water pump seals."

Last edited:

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
what does silicate phosphate and borate do to the radiators? The Prestone bottle does not indicate it is free of these chemicals.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I do not believe that the Preston is free of those chemicals. It's the water pump seals that benifit from the lack of the silicates, phosphates, borates, ... The GM DEX-COOL was developed by GM so that it could handle the 100,000 mile maintenance interval. Personally - i could not go that long w/o changing the coolant on my car (just a mental thing).

It is my understanding that the DEX-COOL matches what "motorcycle coolant" is trying to do by not having the abrasive compounds.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
:|
It's KelvinKDX NOT KevinKDX. He is someone else.

If you only knew how often that happens! :( :|

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
50/50 with distilled water. I use Prestone DEX-COOL too for the very same reason.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
goldman,
The product you are asking about is a base of propylene glycol. The products that Kelvin is talking about are ethylene glycol.
The propylene glycol products are actually better to use than any other mentioned here. You will find them safe on your cooling system as well as safe for pets. The ethylene glycol products, even the ones that are safe for our systems seals will kill a pet with just a few sips. It is very hazardous to our environment.
Buy it and know you are a step ahead of the rest that use those other products. btw..yes engine ice is basically deionized water and propylene glycol.
I think a mixture of 25/75 coolant/water should protect your system to about -10 deg F.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…