jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
This guy in Kuwait wants me to distribute pistons/rings he's buying from somewhere over there. He sent me some samples. Piston looks OK but most of the rings showed at least some areas where the outer hard/shiny metal had been machined down and exposed the copper base (on the flat surfaces, not the outer surface). Is this super cheap crap or is there some good reason for using mostly copper?

digifox

May 25, 2006
Never heard or using copper rings...

IMAO they need to make ring-less kits along with sleeves(WAY more revs, and easier repair)

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
digifox said:
Never heard or using copper rings...

IMAO they need to make ring-less kits along with sleeves(WAY more revs, and easier repair)

How would someone go about doing that?

The rings exist because the piston and cylinder expand at different rates so the piston to cylinder clearance is variable. If you didnt have rings you wouldnt have enough compression to start when cold and would have a problem with seizing when hot.

digifox

May 25, 2006
mkelly04 said:
How would someone go about doing that?

The rings exist because the piston and cylinder expand at different rates so the piston to cylinder clearance is variable. If you didnt have rings you wouldnt have enough compression to start when cold and would have a problem with seizing when hot.

ABC...
Aluminum Brass Copper
the piston is aluminum sleeve lining is brass the sleeve it self is copper. it works AWESOMELY

there is more to break in with ABC engines but you get more out of them...

3.5cc pushing around 2HP
4.5cc getting about 2.5-3HP
And 28k+ RPM
Where with ringed engines its fairly lower HP and can NOT rev NEARLY as high.

Yes that may all be in 1/8th scale but it could move ok up to 1:1 :cool:

digifox

May 25, 2006
stumanarama said:
are you talking about nitro rc motors?
How did you know. lol

Yes, and i think if someone was to make say a 125cc ABC engine it would rev about 17-20k and push 50HP+

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You also have to remember the difference in clearances on an engine 8 times the size. 1 thousandth in an rc motor is like 8 thousandths in a bike motor. It would be near impossible to get it to work. Those little engines with pistons the size of a pencil are pretty impressive. I had a Traxxas 4-Tec that would smoke all four tires while rollin along at 30mph. Topped out over 60mph. Bad idea for and rc.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
digifox said:
ABC...
Aluminum Brass Copper
the piston is aluminum sleeve lining is brass the sleeve it self is copper. it works AWESOMELY

there is more to break in with ABC engines but you get more out of them...

3.5cc pushing around 2HP
4.5cc getting about 2.5-3HP
And 28k+ RPM
Where with ringed engines its fairly lower HP and can NOT rev NEARLY as high.

Yes that may all be in 1/8th scale but it could move ok up to 1:1 :cool:

I think the rpm increase has more to do with the minuscule weight that is moving up and down. The more mass you are trying to move the lower rpm you will get. that is why you dont see cargo ship engines rotating at 10k rpm :)

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
digifox said:
l
Yes, and i think if someone was to make say a 125cc ABC engine it would rev about 17-20k and push 50HP+
And the nitro fuel for it would only be $25 a gallon. Even if you could somehow scale up an rc car engine, nobody could afford the gas for it. I enjoy the enthusiasm toward two stroke R&D, but if it were that simple then someone would have done it already.

Top Bottom