yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
What do you do if cops are in your riding area? Do you try to outrun them, or stop and talk to them? What lines do you use?

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Like any law abiding citizen, I talk to them. It's pretty darn stupid to try and run them, don't you think?:think:

What line do I use! Well, usually, I start out with hi, how are you doing!:silly:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
There's one there almost everytime I ride. It's my dad, he owns the place.;)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
If they look like they want to talk, I'll stop and say hello. Most times a wave will suffice.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
If your riding illegally then you deserve to get busted, if not then just wave to him and note his reaction. Riding on private posted property just pisses off land owners and creates more posted signs. We don't need any more bad press!!

rda

Jun 20, 2000
i would stop and talk to them. if you run it will piss them off, and if they catch you, they might do a rodney king on you!

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
yeah, I can't begin to count the riders Yarbonwick thrashed at the Dallas SX, just because they didn't deserve to be on the track!:p Seems if you ride those pumpkin colored bikes you can get away with anything. Maybe they are invisible to those cops when they are wearing those sunglasses. :cool:

kx125racer

Feb 21, 2000
"Maybe they are invisible to those cops when they are wearing those sunglasses. "

They are not invisible, they just look like really fast mopeds through the glasses.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Be cool.

Stop and talk to them. If your not supposed to be there, they'll tell you to leave at the least, and probably cite you at the most. Don't make things hard on yourself by running -- you've heard of heliocopters, right?

Some cops are riders too...

BoneBuster

Apr 22, 2001
When I was 14 on my YZ80, I out ran a cop car easily thru a mile of residential streets, got to the dirt area and hid behind a bush, peeked out carefully and can see that the copper was pissed off, especially when there were at least 15 to 20 kids cheering, ran out of gas and had to push to bike home for a mile. But, about 5 hours later, he found out where I live and paid me a visit anyway, gave me a lecture in front of my parents. When I was 23, got into situations where my friends wanted to out run cops, but I decided to talk to them instead, and usually, they are pretty cool about it. So, it's best to just be cool and talk to them, usually will work out better that way.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
OK, I didn't mean to sound as renagade as I did. My real problem is that there is this creepy guy who owns an area about 50 meters from my riding area. This guy acts like a child molester type. He stops riders who go by, but I don't want to stop for him any more. Once again, he scares me.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I stop and talk to everybody. It gives me an excuse to try and catch my breath and to get my tongue out of the front spokes.

If it's his land, don't ride there. If it's not his land, wave.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
What I have done

I will see an officer and await his reaction to us riding, then if I notice that he is there because of us I will slowly approach him and stop, remove my helmet and say, how are ya? most of the time if there is a problem he will tell you, at this point act dumb but not stupid, He knows you know, he know more then you think he knows.

Then at that point you can tell him I am sorry I thought this was a good place to ride then counter act your dumbness by asking if he knows of any place that you can ride. At this point he is helpful or negitive. if he is helpful then he is not upset with you he is just doing what he has to, if he gives you a dumb look then let him know that you will be loading up and leaving.

If there are No tresspassing signs around. then resort to being stupid because there is no hope for you.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
My real problem is that there is this creepy guy who owns an area about 50 meters from my riding area. This guy acts like a child molester type.
Are you saying this guy is a cop? I'd call the cops and find out what his deal is if you're worried about it. Tell them what you're worried aboutand ask why he is stopping people, they'll either shame him into stopping or you might lose the riding area. too many wierdos in this world to be taking chances with these freaks!

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Well in that case , he has no business stopping you at all unless you are crossing his land or something, call the cops on him! They'll straighten him out.
i emailed you back when you asked about the Sterling areas, did you get it? That's about the only place I ride right now.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Stop for the Cops

This is to be my first reply, thought it was appropriate. I rode a motor for eight years in law enforcement and in that time, came across countless riders. Being a rider since I was 8 gives me an edge over my partners in regards to being sympathetic to the cause. I was pretty happy about the guys who would stop for me, just so we could talk. You have to take the chance at getting talked to by a fellow MX'er versus being chased by a pissed off Cop. Let's not make it any harder for fellow MX'ers to find places to ride, we don't have many left. If it's illegal then be cool and go on your way if asked to. Good luck

Jan 21, 2001
What do they check for?

My first state trail ride in Michigan is this weekend and I would like to know what the DNR officers generally look for when they pull guys over. IS THERE ANYONE ELSE FROM MICHIGAN WHO CAN ANSWER THIS?

Jonscr250

Jun 2, 2001
that was hard to understand but is it illegal to ride on the side of the road??? Like in peoples yards as long as i never touch the road??

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
I was stopped once for riding in the ditch next to the road. I asked the officer if it was legal. He told me that the road and it's associated right of way(the ditch I was riding in) is all considered part of the road. This right of way extends from the edge of the improved road surface to the edge of the private property it adjoins. So the answer is that you are either riding on the road or on someone's private property. The good news for me was that the officer used to ride a Bultaco Frontera. He told me he'd look the other way since I did'nt try to run. Like a454elk said, you gotta take a chance and talk to 'em because running will surely piss them off.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Who's land is it anyway?

The reply about what is considered highway and what isn't, is right on. I know in CA that it's all included unless it's private property. If you find one, keep it cool inside there and they won't have a reason to kick you out. If the neighbors complain that you kick up gravel in front of their house while enroute, they'll look for you!
On another note, I'm considering trading my 92 rm250 for a 01 model. Any thoughts on what needs to be done to bring back the flat top end and soften the suspension? Thanks

Top Bottom