JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I think I have a problem. I rode the KTM380 for the first time in a sho-nuff MX race, and, and. . .I'm in LOVE! I decided to run the Alabama Series race at Corner MX Park today, and I had a BLAST! Since everyone I usually ride MX with is getting drunk in PA this weekend, I decided to fly solo. Corner is a neat little track in someone's back yard 40 miles north of Birmingham. They actually have real live grass around the track and everything. It's a very clean, very friendly facility.

I loaded up friday night, and left at the crack-o-dawn Saturday morning. I still managed to miss practice, but there were several stragglers, and we were all given a couple of free laps after formal practice. I felt like a big goofball out there on the KTM. I tried to ride the first lap hard, but I almost crashed eleventeen times, and backed off so i could figure out the track. I didn't exactly have warm fuzzies after practice, but my first moto was #14 :scream: , so i had plenty of time to ride around and check out the track. Corner is laid out in a killer natural valley (we call 'em 'hollers') and has lots of elevation change and a very sandy, very wet soil composition. A new section has been added to the middle of the track. It's slightly uphill, and has a 30 foot double followed by a 35 foot table. Local hero Drew Askew treated this section as one big jump. . . I'm talking 100 feet. :eek: He was the only guy doing it.

Since I'm still really sore from my endo 3 weeks ago, i decided to play it safe and run the Hobby/Novice class. Hobby/Nov is an open class, but no jumping is allowed. It's still sandbagger central though. When my first moto finally rolled around, i lined up to the right of the doghouse (along with most of the 12 bike field). When the gate dropped, i bogged bigtime, but still managed to hit the first turn in third place. I held onto third 3.5 laps, and #261 got by. I passed him back, but I almost went down in a fast sweeper leading up to the finish, and he got back by. I was kinda surprised when i looked back and saw no one anywhere close to me. Hmm, thre's a LOT to be said for HP. The last race i ran at Corner was on my 250F, and I worked my a** off to get 6th. My arms felt like they were al dente , but I was pretty happy with fourth.

My second moto was much better. I got out the gate well, and i was in second at the first turn. I held onto second for .000163 of a lap, and settled into third with the whole pack right on my tail. The track had dried a lot by this point, and I no longer felt like i was flirting with disaster. I settled into a decent ryhtym, and had a great battle with #261. This time, I held him off and pulled away. #19 and #25 were nowhere to be seen, and I backed off after #261 gave up. When the results were posted, my 4-3 beat his 3-4, and i wound up with 3rd overall. :thumb:

Yeah, i think I'm gonna like the 380. . .makes me feel all tingly. :confused: The coolest part is: I got a $5 trophy, and it only cost me $4800. :)

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by _SOLO_
Cool report, just gets me all excited about riding tomorrow!

Tomorrow!?!? Don't you have school? Man, I wish I could ride on a Monday!

Good ride report JP.

wrench

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The 380 BLOWS through the gears. It's a whole lot less work, but i like the 250F motor better. The 380 was set up for a 240 pound 'B' woods rider when it was new, and the suspension is way better for a fat old guy like me.

Today's ride on the piglet was a real eye-opener. The suspension is way too soft now, and I bottomed the fork so hard that i blew a fork seal. I'm going to go ahead and respring it while I'm replacing the steering head bearings and the seals. It's gonna need a big bore kit too. :aj:

The only negative about the KTM is the vibration. The brakes aren't terrific, either.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Hey JP wish I could have been there with you, love that track. I'll give you back your liver sling the next time I see you, I still need it for the recovery:uh:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Way to go Pleaser Man :yeehaw:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Good job JP. Sounds like my first race this year. Still remember that feeling, "I survived!"

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
:cool: Thanks, guys! I'm ready to go back. Tim, I believe Chandler Mt. is racing this weekend. Are you in town this week, or is there still beer left in PA?

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
We killed the keg and many brain cells along with it :o

I can't race Chandler this weekend, I'm going down to Rockford on Saturday for the STRA trials event and then Sunday is the Rockford enduro. Interested?

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
What kind of event is STRA putting on? If there are pro-level riders involved, I'd be all over it.

I've done a couple of pre-rides at Rockford, but I think I'll stick to the track this week.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Somebody got a shot of Drew Askew doing the Drew thing. Check out the height.

Attachments

• drew2.jpg
    drew2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 273

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Now I know where the new section is. I hope they don't go too crazy and turn it into an SX track.

Normal STRA event, a few local hotshots (Comer et al), but no big name professionals (I would guess).

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I rode Skyline with Curt, and I met his father at a trials demo at Rocket City Raceway a few years ago. I have some pics of his 60-70 year old father riding a Bultaco over a couple of logs.

Curt was a National trials champ at one time, wasn't he?

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
You gotta cut Gomer some slack. He's dyslexic, yanno? Just don't ever tell him "no", cuz he hears "on". ;)

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
(I forgot to tell this new bike that I don't crash anymore. :( )
I had that discussion with my bike......it didn't help! :)

Hang in there brother, hope you get well soon. :thumb:

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
You gotta cut Gomer some slack.

Ever since he became the Captain of TEAM WINKY-DINK, he's been a little umm errrr .... off! :yeehaw:
Heck, he even went BLUE!!

wrench

Feb 3, 2009
2009 Alabama Series - Corner MX Park Races

Quick Update -
The 2009 MX - Alabama Series Flyer will be mailed out soon.
If you would like to be added to the mailing list, please
email me and I will be happy to get you added.
You can also check out our web site.
Thanks for riding with us. We couldn't do it without all of you.
God Bless,
Corner Motocross Park

Top Bottom