mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
My last two rides the silencer coupler has leaked smooge down onto my swind arm. It seems to be getting worse. Has the boot just gone bad? I just ordered a FMF pipe & silencer. Will that cure the problem (thats not why I ordere them). Thanks.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You can try all you want to clean up the sludge running out of your pipe, but the root problem is a jetting condition that is too rich. Fix it now before you seize the powervalves.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
D#$m it, I thought I had it jetted right. I leaned it out pretty good. Power feels quick and nice everywhere. So your saying a correctly jetted 2-stroke will produce NO spooge? I assume that new pipe will lean it up some. I'll see what that does first.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The spooge is being created by one or more of the carburator circuits.
Most likely the low circuits from when you aren't on the pipe.
Even a well jetted bike can spooge a bit if you aren't running the motor at peak performance. (putting around)

Also, you may find that you do in fact have all the circuits close to spot-on...however, there will be spooge left in the pipe from previous attempts at jetting. You could try having the pipe cleaned at a radiator shop.

Jet for perfomance and not to rid yourself of spooge.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Open that throttle all the way when you ride, well I guess I should take my own advice. I actually use high heat silicone on the coupler and pipe, problem solved.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
SEIZE THE POWERVALVES??? That sounds expensive!

Let me see if I've got this correctly:
1) A too-rich condition creates spooge.
2) Too much spooge can seize the powervalves.

OK, now I'm worried; my KDX200 was jetted too rich at delivery in July'03 and I think it is still too rich despite repeated rejetting attempts. (I'm closer to being "there" now though.) I have definitely seen quite a bit of spooge coming out of my stock silencer (not pouring, but a definite drip). The spooge has happened with both H1R and Maxima K2 (32:1).

Should I tear down the engine and check out the powervalves? How will I know if the powervalves are about to fail?

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
You say you are jetted correctly but still at -3 clip on the other thread. :think: Perhaps there is something there...

Don't jet according to spooge, but even if you were right on, it will spit until you flush the spooge out of the pipe with solvent.(like jaybird sez...)

My observation is Mobil mx2t appears to produce a dramatically 'dryer' effluent.

Don't get spun by oil talk about flash points. The oils are made of many components. The first component to flash is likely one of the the last components to condense on the power valves.

Last edited:

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
A 2 stroke will produce oil deposits in the exhaust sytem no matter how you jet it (within reason)...think about it...you are quite literally combusting gasoline mixed with oil. To say that a two stroke can be jetted to produce a 4 stroke-like exhaust is crazy...they are two totally different systems.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
To say that a two stroke can be jetted to produce a 4 stroke-like exhaust is crazy...they are two totally different systems.

I must be missing something here :think: Have not seen anyone suggest that!
;)

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
"A 2 stroke will produce oil deposits in the exhaust sytem no matter how you jet it "

That's what I was thinking. I was suprised to see jetting come up on this thread. My silencer doesn't drip spooge at all. It has a little "greasy" looks just at the tip. Though, the new leak at the coupler does seem to spill out now.

Before, I get ate up will comments, let me say that I fully understand the need and effect of proper jetting. (and have done so to the best of my abilities) That being said.........

I could start a thread about my back hurting after a ride, and some one would chime in that it must be the jetting that caused my back pain. How do some of you guys find the time to ride with all that jetting going on?

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Originally posted by wibby

I must be missing something here :think: Have not seen anyone suggest that!
;)

Technically true...but from the looks of it that's where this was quickly headed. Come on...nuttin' wrong with a little spooge.

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Originally posted by mnnthbx

I could start a thread about my back hurting after a ride, and some one would chime in that it must be the jetting that caused my back pain.

That's not true...we also argue about pipes, tires and suspension ;)

How do some of you guys find the time to ride with all that jetting going on?

Now that's just plain funny!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Balance. Everything has a balance...and works best when it IS balanced.

Common sense applied is a good thing, too.

There is truth in everything that has been said. You can have a bike that is jetted darn near perfect, and it still might drip some. As said, it's a 2-stroke for crine' out loud!! It's got oil in the GAS!

Chances are most bikes that drip spooge are not jetted correctly. Heck, chances are most bikes aren't jetted correctly, period!

1. Jet your bike to the best of your ability given a fair amount of reading, testing and common sense.

2. Ride more, worry a whole lot less.

3. Got a drip of spooge? Go to #2.

I've spent some time jetting my bike. It runs fine. I get some spooge on the swingarm. Why:

Well, let's see...there's the couple of dents in my pipe that make the fit less than primo, there's a smushed S/A from my last loop-it (wait..that was two loop-its ago!) that make the fit less than primo, too.

I haven't had the pipe/silencer joint 'gasket' piece on my bike for over a year...the last 10 hours of ride time has been stop-and-go hanging a gazillion feet of ribbon for local events.

It's also true that when I repacked my S/A a couple of weeks ago, the old packing was as dry as a bone.

Time to go back to #2.........;)

Top Bottom