CR 250 forks... Special tools???

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
I did a search but didn't find anything. Im getting ready to do the fork seals on my 93 CR 250 and in the book it says i need a couple special tools. I know i need a seal driver but can I just cut one of my old seals and use that? Also it says i need a fork slider spacer?? How necessary is that and what exactly is it for? The book doesnt say much about it. It also says I need a damper rod holder. Do I have to go to honda and buy these tools, can it be done without them, or is there a cheap alternative where i can make my own. If i knew the purpouse of what the slider spacer adn the dampener rod holder was then I could probabally fabricate my own. Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
You can cut one of your old seals and use it if you want - I personally use a seal driver but know people who do use the old seals). The fork slider spacer is simply a piece of plastic that looks like a C (5/16" thick). It keeps the dust seal from getting damaged by hitting the bottom of the fork. You could use a piece of wood about 5/16" thick to hold it up. I did that at first but got the fork slider spacer later because it stays in place on it's own. The damper rod holder you can get away without if you have an impact wrench. It holds the damper in place so that you can get the bolt out of the bottom of the fork. With an impact wrench you can spin it off so fast that you don't need to hold it.

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
cool that's what i needed to know. How will i tighten the bolt on the bottom of the fork to the right torque without the damper rod holder?

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Just run it up with your impact until it's snug (set it on it's lowest setting and stop as soon as it touches) then use your torque wrench. The pressure of the bolt tightening will hold the damper rod in place. Make sure to start it by hand before you use the impact so you don't cross thread it.

Top Bottom