CR 250 full rebuild finally got it running, BUT......

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well finally I got everything buttoned up properly (had to swap swing arm bearing collars) and install my new Electrosport Stator so I decided to get some fresh 93 octane mixed with castor 927 @ 32:1. It was a bear to start at first and once it tried to start, had to kick it over a few times but it started right up and idle'd (a tad high at 1.5 turns out on a/f screw). I let the bike warm up for a bout 5 minutes then gave it a few slight revs here and there, and shut it off. Started it back up and turned the af screw 1.25 turns out and it idled perfect, checked the radiators and both were warm so I knew the waterpump is working. Rev'd it up a few times to try and clear it out and it did, but didnt seem to want to rev very high? Anyways I took it for a ride and it didn't want to get on the pipe at first through the gears which is normal until it warms a bit and clears out (usually by 4th gear) and it did, but would not "get on the pipe" then rev'd to the moon wot. Instantly hit the kill switch and nothing, my immediate reaction was put it in first with the rear brake on as hard as i could and try to kill it, it worked! I pushed it home, and went to start it up and it idle'd fine and everything (throttle cable didn't stick) but wont rev up wot and seems to "surge" after a rev and wants to free rev a bit so I kill it. My guess is an air leak on the intake gasket since everything else is new and the bottom end done by a reputable honda dealer, all gaskets are new including one of the intake gaskets, one is old so I'm guessing that would be the air leak source. As far as not gettin on the pipe I'm worried the electric RC power valve isn't working after this stator install (it was fine before), I checked the cables for proper tension and the powervalve itself opened easily. It's putting out plenty of spark, I plugged in the stator wiring with the 4 pin connector and left the other two yellow wires off for the lighting (one is ground one is power). What could be going on here, I'm a bit concerned after I spent more then the bike is probably worth so far rebuilding it. :bang:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Yes it has a full wiseco bottom end rebuild with all new seals/bearings, new pro x piston and rings, basically a completely rebuilt motor. Carb is clean, it just doesnt seem like the bike is even attempting to get on the pipe. I'm not going to mess with it until I get the new intake gasket at least, but is it possible the new electrosport lighting stator is not powering the RC valve properly or something?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
You probably won't be able to dianose the not getting on pipe properly until you fix the air leak. Fix that and then your other problem might be fixed too.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's also possible the electrical circuit to the powervalve has an issue. Are you sure it's plugged in? Is there a cover in the side where the cables go in you can remove and run the bike to see if it operates? You could try a volt meter on the wiring, I would assume there to be no voltage at low rpm and some kind of voltage at high rpm, but I've never been into one so I have no idea what voltage to look for.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I took apart the Vforce reed valve and found some wear on the inside where the rubber boot to the carb bolts to the back of the reed block surface, so I doubled up the gaskets. The bike seems to idle best around 3/4 turns out on the AF screw and run a bit "cleaner", still wont get on the pipe though. checked the tension on the power valve cables and it felt right. The power valve opens freely by hand and servo turns properly manually. Took off the cover and the servo does not move when reved on the stand since the electrosport stator install (it worked fine before). Would this be something with the AC/DC issue?I also double checked all electrical connectors, they are tight and corrosion free. Should the electric powervalve open when free reved in neutral? What a difference in sound when you manually open up the valve! I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with electrosport lighting stators on this type of pv setup?

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Like I said, I've never messed with one of those....but the ones on suzukis definitely open when revved on the stand. You could always swap the OEM stator back in and see if it runs better.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
So a simple search of google with the 02 cr 250 rc valve and electrosport stator revealed other people posting my exact same isssue, including the motor reving wide open (weird). The stator put's out AC which i believe is the 4 pin connector and dc from two yellow wires to power the light. I'm thinking it has something to do with interfering with the stock rectifier on the power valve causing it to not operate. Anyone else have an electrosport stator on the CR, and is there something else I need to do for the stator to properly power the servo? Electrosport claims it will work on 02-07's fine even though some years had the electric pv and other's don't, i can't find any info or wiring diagrams on it either! Maybe I should ask for a refund and try an oem one? :bang:

Also happen to notice, the cables are "worn" but there is still enough pull left in them to completely open and close the power valve when turning the servo manually by hand.

Last edited:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Took it for a ride today with the powervalve open and man does it rip in the mid - top range and runs awesome.... I need to figure out this problem, after getting on the pipe a few times, the servo and powervalve always goes back to the closed position (completely clockwise against the stopper pin).

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
_JOE_ said:
Sounds like you need to do some electrical troubleshooting.....
I don't have a volt meter, but I unplugged all connections on all cables, cleaned and assembled (there was no corrision at all).
What I don't get is it worked perfectly before i swapped in this electrosport stator, and I seen other people having problems too without answers. Called where I purchased it from, and they wont accept refunds on electrical items after I spent $150 on it.
Can I temporarly ride the bike with the powervalve open? I know I "shouldnt" and it will hve no low end, but I really want to hit the trails. This is killing me, I hate electrical stuff, my $3000 macbook pro's graphics card blew out after a failed itunes update!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
actually seen one at wally world for $16... if it's not getting power from the electrosport stator (which i suspect) even though the ignition works, what could it be? I doubt the servo is bad as it worked before with the stock stator. Does anyone else have a rc valve'd honda with a lighting coil? I think its the whole Ac/dc issue.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Called electrosport and they said with this company i ordered it from, they take used sators and install their wiring kits, back plate and rewing them and rebox as electrosport stators.You can physically see the different gauge copper wiring too on the coils! I will need to put a claim in asap in paypal and electrosport is looking into it as this is the 10th or so issue recently they said. No one had any tracking info where their package was shipped from except me though, so now Electrosport knows exactly.

EDIT: I put in a paypal claim and immediately the seller responded (it took days before) about it being fake and fraudulent saying they will send me a REAL one "if it is fake" and they are unaware and serious actions may result in this finding.

a1kkn.jpg

5cknif.jpg

hugbit.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom