ErcDraven88

Jul 29, 2005
I was just wondering what is the best pipe and silencer out for a 1997 Cr 250. I am looking for a pipe that pulls throught the entier powerband. I cant find reviews on any pipes. Money isnt an issue. What would you sugest ( Noleen, Doma, FMF, Pro Circuit?) thanks.

bens

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2001
I've got an FMF Fatty on mine. I love it!!!! I primarily race Fair races which are very tight sx style tracks. I've owned my 97 since it was new. There was a very noticable difference in bottom end power w/ the FMF unit. O yah I put the power core silencer on also.

Hope this helps
Ben

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
In the past I've gone with FMF Fatty's also since CR's seem to lack some bottom. This time I went with a Pro Circuit pipe with a matching shorty silencer on my '01 CR250 and I'm very pleased with the performance. BTW stock CR pipes are pretty darn good anyways so if your stock pipe is good, save you cash and send the jug out to Eric Gorr for some good porting instead.

bens

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2001
mxneagle Wrote:
BTW stock CR pipes are pretty darn good anyways so if your stock pipe is good, save you cash and send the jug out to Eric Gorr for some good porting instead.

I second this statement. I purchased Eric's Honda book a couple of years ago. It is now my 97 cr bible.

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
On my 97 cr I have had 3 pipes besides the stock. Originally i bought the PC platinum with r304 silencer. this was a good pipe for top end and over rev. then I got and sst and power core 2 silencer, this pipe made a little less top and over rev but more bottom than the PC. then I got a gnarly, and is pipe has slightly less top end and over rev than both the pc, and sst, but tons more bottom.

I have stuck with the gnarly becuase I love the bottom end and I think with the gnarly it is easier to stay in the power band than the other bikes. i used my bike for every thing (woods, trails, sand dunes, MX, and SX tracks) I also went with a 51 tooth rear sprocket and I have a tendancy to short shift.

I might also note that the gnarly is a tougher pipe that the pc and sst, since it is made of 18 gauge steel. (trust me it makes a diffrence as much as I crash and also the reason I have been through 3 pipes on this bike.)

I am going to go with the gnarly on my 03. :aj:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My bike runs so good with the stock '99 pipe that I sold an FMF fatty that came with the bike. The previous owner also preferred the stock pipe. Not sure how well the '99 pipe would work with the wilder '97 porting, but it sure gives nice low end on the '99. If you can find one cheap I would give it a try.

ErcDraven88

Jul 29, 2005
Thanks guys, I think I am going to go ahead and put the V force 3, FMF fatty and Shorty silencer. With the money I have left over I am going to have it ported. 18th Birthday so the skys the limit on spending.

ErcDraven88

Jul 29, 2005
I was thinking about the suspention but my bike has only been ridden 4 times before i got it. The suspention i think will be fine for awhile. If I wanted to do the Porting, what stage would I go with? I am planning to race but I am not sure how the race fuel will wear my engine.( Is the power gain that much diffrent from stage 1 & 2 ?)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Even when your bike was new, it was considered to have plenty of power and mediocre suspension.

IMO, you will see much more improvement from the suspension work. If you get a chance to ride a bike with killer suspension, you will see what I mean. Fast motors are fun, but great suspension is even more fun!

jrm

Apr 30, 2002
I agree. About the last thing your bike needs is more power, and in any event, changing the stock pipe isn't the most cost-effective way for more power for that year CR.

You should first get your suspension redone at Factory Connection or another reputable company. It will make all the difference in your ability to ride that bike fast over MX terrain. That is absolutely, without doubt, the first thing I'd do to a 97 CR250 that does not need any repair work.

Good luck.

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
If the sky is the limit, stop sinking money into a '97 CR250 and buy a newer bike. The '97 didn't handle nearly as well as the the '01 and up. I like Honda's but have stuck with my '01 since I prefer that style of CR motor (Not a fan of the case reed motor) If you want plenty of bottom end, by a new or leftover YZ250.

ErcDraven88

Jul 29, 2005
I dont have THAT much money. My step dad had a new 01 with a gnarly pipe. I loved the bike but I cant afford it. I spent $1,900 on my 97 that was brand new. I found a 2001 CR 250 that hasnt been off the showroom floor for $3,100. I have enough $ for porting, pipe and silencer combo along with the V force reeds. I am not sure how much suspention would be. I might have to wait on that one for a bit.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
'97 CR is not a bad bike once the suspension is fixed. Factory Connection is a good choice. Another worth wild mod is a set of 22mm offset clamps. They will fit later model CR's also, so keep your old set for when you sell the bike. This realy improves handling. The '97 motor rips once jetted, need to watch the crank shells for stress cracks. Fix the suspension 1st - the bike is unpredicable with stock suspension. Unless you are a skilled rider with some experience, the '01 won't be much of an improvement. I had one for years, I also had an '01. SST provides smoothest power but does require a special silencer for that model year. The other pipes will have more of a "hit". The Boyesen Rad valve REALY boosts the bottom end. The V-Force will provide less hit and more linear power.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
For prices, check out Factory Connetion's home page, www.factoryconnection.com

Revalve $170 each, front/rear
Rebuild $85 each
Fluids $15 each (not sure if its included in above)

You will also need to pay for shipping & insurance. IMO, if you can only do one end, the fork probably helps the most.

FWIW, I bought my bike from an AA enduro racer/District CC champ. It is set up for offroad and has Factory Connection front and back. The forks are 46mm Paioli conventional, obviously with aftermarket triple clamps (e-line). The bike is among the sweetest handling and best suspended I've ridden. I run 105mm of rear sag.

When people complain about the 'harsh' '97-99 frame, it is obvious they have never ridden one like mine. This thing is plush in the nasty stuff, yet soaks up the big hits (well, the off-road type; I don't moto).

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
It's not the frame thats harsh, its the suspension. The new frame was just a convenient place to place blame on Honda's infamous mid stroke harshnes. The new aluminum frame was actually stiffer and amplifide the problem. Good stuff when reworked though.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I've ridden a Terry Varner 97 CR2550, it flat hauled. But I am fully in agreement that getting the suspension set up for your specific weight and conditions will make a much bigger difference than motor mods.

good luck

Pit Man

Feb 16, 2003
My '98 CR 250 has a Pro-Circuit Platinum pipe with a PC spark arrestor ,has good low and mid then signs off a little sooner than without the spark arrestor.

Top Bottom