Mtn XR

Oct 26, 2001
I bought a 94 cre250 for my son and have discovered that we need to fill the tranny oil every couple rides becasue it is low. The bike does not externally leak but when we fill the tranny and run the bike it creates more smoke and spooge out the pipe. It appears that the tranny oil is entering the cylinder somehow. Is this common and where do i start looking to repair it? I am guessing it is a seal but not sure.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
it needs the crank seals replacing and shouldnt be ridden before being fixed. you want to check the main bearings- often whe they wear on older bikes, it causes the seals to go out. since you have to split the cases, its worth changing all the bearings and seals in the bottom end of you are keeping the bike. try www.peakmoto.com they have good seal and gasket sets at good prices.

good luck:)

Mtn XR

Oct 26, 2001
Thanks......thats kinda what I thought was going on. I have done the top end on snowmobiles but not bikes...and have not done the bottom end on anything. Is this something I can handle on my own with a manual or should I take it in and let someone do it for me?

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
I would give it a go. My 92 CR250 had a bottom end seize 45mins into the first ride. Having just dropped $1500 on a old used bike a decided to attempt the rebuild myself as a learned experience if nothing else. (I'd only ever done a top end before) You will certainly need the service manual. And EG's book is a must have. He's got a lot of time and money saving tricks in there. For the tools you kinda gotta have: Flywheel puller & Case splitter. You can use an automotive wheel puller to both (with a little creativity) if you don't want to put down for those two tolls. An impact wrench & a holding tool are nice but not necessary (main gear bolt, clutch basket). If the cases on your 93 have never been split, it will be tough to get them apart. Just take your time and make sure it splits evenly. After that it's not to tough. Like I said before EG's book has the rest of the trick which I won't try to describe because I'm sure I'll butcher them! Also, go with a complete crank from Honda. It's $170 from Service Honda. I abused mine for 2 years now and when I did the top last month there was no play in the crank whatsoever. Good luck. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom