Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
First, am I right, that the magneto side of the bottom end is the "dry" side and the clutch side is the "wet" side?
I think my transmission is sucking fluid into the top end as my transmission fluid level is dropping every time I ride. The bike seems to be running a touch rich.
Am I correct in assuming that this means the seal on the clutch side needs to be replaced? Can this be done from the "outside" without splitting the cases?

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Your are correct on your first question. But for your second question, if you are running only a touch rich, and you can noticably tell that the oil level is dropping then that might not be the problem. Clean the right side of your engine and let it dry, then check to see if any oil is leaking in between any gaskets. If not, then it probably is the crankseal on the clutch side. I'm not really sure if you can replace this from the outside, might be able to with some needle nose pliers, but i'm not sure.

HLT

Sponsoring Member
Dec 15, 2000
If you decide that you need to replace the clutch side main seal, yes, you can do it in the bike. You will have to remove the clutch cover, the entire clutch assembly, the drive gear on the right side of the crank, and the bushing behind it to get at the seal. Take care when driving in the new seal not to go to far and that it goes in straight.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom