Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
I had a '98, now an '02 CR, and the problem still exists. The fork guards always seem to fatigue/break (at the mounting points) leaving the fork guard to rub against the fork tube which just pisses me off. :flame:

Anyway, I noticed that yamy, kawi, and suzuki all have fork guard guides on the fork tubes, so does anyone know if one of thier fork guards/guides will bolt up? Or, what makes/models of bikes run the Showa 47mm forks (note: should be the same, right), and maybe I'll buy some to see if they fit.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Faded, Suzuki ran/runs showa's on some of their bikes. I believe they had the 47mm as well? You could run suzuki guards/guides if they will cross. Not much, but hope it helps

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
FYI:

After much searching I've found that the '99-00 RMs have 49mm Showa twin chamber inverted forks, much like the CRs 47mm Showas. I have a buddy w/a '00, so I'll try them and post back if anyone else is interested.

TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
Have you tried aftermarket gaurds? like Acerbis? I just orderd some b/c they are alittle strong plastic. I will let you know once i get them on.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I'm pretty sure that the mounting holes on the bottoms of the forks are in different positions. You'll have to keep using CR guards.. FWIW my TM uses CR fork guards, they appear identical but may have a different manufacturing process.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Thanks guys, I'll be ordering some soon as mine are broken (again). Just looking for the 'real' fix.

Oh, and the RM ones don't even come close, tried it last night. I'll still keep looking and let everyone know if I ever find an answer.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by Faded
IThe fork guards always seem to fatigue/break (at the mounting points)
Faded,
I noticed that on some fork guards there is a metal collar in the mounting hole that prevents over torque of the plastic. These tend not to crack like those without the collar. I removed the ones from the stock guards and put them in my new ones when I replaced them. The Acerbis that I received didn't have the collars. You may give it a try.

Top Bottom