ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
We personally like the RM85 due to it's broad power band. The CR85 has the narrowest powerband of the 85's. The YZ is somewhere inbetween. Where we race, the RM and YZ's are the class leaders.

Honda26

Mar 17, 2002
umm ktmdad.. id like to know how you think the CR85's have the narrowest powerbands when the CR85's havent even come out yet!!!!!!!!
also id like to know where you got your info from... cuz i doubt you went out and rode all the 80/85's to see which ones actually had the most power? or did you just listen to your 12 year old son ? :|

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
First of, in defense of KTMDAD Go ahead and look at all of his reply's on here and you can see clearly that his son races seriously and like all dad's he has researched all the braands extensively. As for the smallest powerband its well known that the cr's have the smallest ones...way up top....and the cr's do produce top HP numbers but the statement that KTMDAD made about the RM and YZ's being the CLASS LEADERS had nothing to do with horsepower but rather that the RM's and YZ's have better use of that power and if you have been to your local track or looked at the national championship mini pics at all you would see that the rm's and yz's ARE being raced by the more competative kids today. Thgis being said i think that the kx would be the best choice because the power is broader and easier to manage. And before you bash me, my son just turned 9, has ridden every brand of 80, and DOES know how togive good feedback on a bike and it's power...........on a side note, KTMDAD I apppreciate your comments on here and know where you are coming from

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
oh and by the way, when they bumped up the rm85 from an 80 the powerband stayed the same.....and from the news out of honda, the powerband on the new 85 is the same and basically the only thing that has changed is the cc

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
Cr's are the bomb!!!!!! I had a Rm 80 before and i hopped on my 2001 Fmf CR 80 and tore it up!!!!!!!! Yz i'd say might be ur best choice because it may be to big of a change to skip from a putter to a full blown racer. Propably even the RM might be the best choice for his first 80. But if ur racin go honda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
By the way the only reson that Kx are good is for a beater bike. I have never seen a Kx 80 that hsn't looked like the army dropped a nuke on it then used it for target practice. The only thing that they are good for is if ur kid rides like a squid and needs a rev limiter.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by chillywillyt
the rm's and yz's ARE being raced by the more competative kids today.
Not to flame you or anything but Mike and Jeff Alessi both race CR80's. I just read it in a recent magazine and thought I would share. And I have had a CR80 before and I will say it had a big and hard hit in the power.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Honda26, The cr85 is no different than the cr80. Except for the fact that It has a slightly larger bore. (an extra 2cc's)
The current cr80 does have the narrowest and hardest hitting powerband. The yz is close behind. The RM ans KX do not have much hit in the topend, but they make up for it with low end power.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
The reason most 60 and 80 riders need new top ends so often is because they rev them to the moon all of the time. They rarely ever use the bottom end.

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
Josh hill, Ryan villopoto, Davi Milsaps, the list goes on, honda bought the alessi's and i bet if you look at the top 25 at all the nationals there are maybe one or two cr80's in the top 25......dunno where you get yer info from...and as far as 60 and 80 guys using mainly top end.......a kid going from an xr80 is NOT gonna be hittin the power at the top end and thus will want a bike with a hit down low........just that simple......the way the aftermarket companies are today though i can take a cr80 and give it a bunch down low and i can take an rm and give it a bunch up top......so bottom line is buy the bike that YOU like......if it's the color or whatever.....than change the gearing or porting or whatever and make the bike do what you want......not hard to do at all

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
"The reason most 60 and 80 riders need new top ends so often is because they rev them to the moon all of the time. They rarely ever use the bottom end."

Thats because there IS no bottom end! And I like it!

It took a month or so to get used to it, but once i was, I got hooked!

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
it doesnt take a lot of cash, different silencer and pipes, heck to get a better bottom end outta a cr you can have an insert made for 20 bucks that changes the exaughst flow and gives it more bottom end..........

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
id like to know how you think the CR85's have the narrowest powerbands when the CR85's havent even come out yet!!!!!!!! .....i doubt you went out and rode all the 80/85's to see which ones actually had the most power? or did you just listen to your 12 year old son ?

To honda26, learn to improve your reading comprehension before you begin to rag on someone's posting.

I did not say that the RM had the most power.
We personally like the RM85 due to it's broad power band. The CR85 has the narrowest powerband of the 85's. The YZ is somewhere inbetween. Where we race, the RM and YZ's are the class leaders.

Where we race, the majority of bikes on the line are YZ's and RM's, followed by KX's. Every few CR's. Which tells me that the majority of 7-11 riders like a more managable power band.

By the way, my son is only 9 yrs old. Since he is the one on the race track, I better listen to his opinion as to what he wants to race, what he wants out of the motor, and the suspension to do.

Last edited:

Freaknzoid

Jul 23, 2002
I have a 02CR80RB and it rips. If ur going 2 race than go honda. It is weak in the low end but when u keep it up in the powerband it rips on trails or tracks.
-------------------------------
02CR80RExpert

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
We just got 2 RM's for a pretty good price and they're really good... they've got a lot of low end and are a heck of a lot of fun to throw around.
Andrew

RanMan

May 22, 2002
My son has only been riding for a year now (12 years old). He rode a XR100 the whole time. We both race enduro and harescramble type stuff. I just bought him a "03 YZ85 last week and was worried about him and the pull for woods, but he took to it very quickly and does well on hills too. The YZ is fast as I am sure any of them are.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom