Joeschmo

Jun 12, 2005
i have an 89 cr125 and i have a big low end bog on it when i crack open the throttle.... but when its on choke it has no low end bog and it still hits the powerband is this a sign of jetting?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Yes that is a sign of a lean condition. Either you need to rejet, or more likely if it was fine before and then started doing this is an air leak. Probable sources are the left crank seal, the reed block and intake boot. It needs to be fixed before your bike seizes the engine.

Joeschmo

Jun 12, 2005
it also has alot of spooge when warming up and the plug fouls every 2 or 3 hours so thats why im thinking jetting but it could be an airleak aswell but im more certain on the jetting

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
If it is spooging a lot, plus is acting lean like that, I think it is time to tear it down and replace the crank seals, it sounds like it is sucking air in, as well as gear oil. The air leak is leaning it out, and the oil is causing it to spooge and foul plugs.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
The seal could warm up and seal, but pass oil when cold. You would be money ahead to do a crankcase pressure test, and check the integrity of the engine's seals. It sounds like the crank seals may be shot, and if they are, your engine likely will not last long. Maybe I'm wrong, and it just needs rejetting or a carb clean, but if it was my bike, I would stop riding it and get this fixed, before it seizes up.

Joeschmo

Jun 12, 2005
hey timberpig thanks a ton for the help and everything but how do you do a crankcase pressure test also where do you ride in BC anywhere in the interior?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
You plug the air boot and exhaust outlet on the cylinder, then pump in about 10 psi, and see if it holds the pressure. If it doesn't you look for where it is escaping. It is also good to then check it and see if it will hold a vacuum as well, as pressure. Often seals fail under vacuum, but hold pressure just fine. Vacuum leaks are what lets air leak in at the seals. There are plans on here for a home built tester for like $17 US.

I'm from Williams Lake, but stuck going to school in Vancouver at the moment. No riding for me for a few months yet.

Top Bottom