jdager

Apr 26, 2008
cr250 gearing/.chain help for woods riding

Hey all,
easy question for ya'll. I just bought a 2001 cr250, and dont yet have a manual for it. I was wondering what the stock gearing for it should be? it has 14 and 48, but from what I have seen, 13 is stock for the front, not sure about the back. I am getting ready to buy a sprocket/ chain combo tomorrow, and I was wondering what would be the best set up for mainly woods riding? I thought about going down in the front, but should I go to stock (if it is) 13, or go down to 12, and should I go up a few in the back?
thanks
Jim Dager

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
Hi all, I know this has been discussed a lot, and I plan to do a lot of searching in the next couple of days, but I have a new to me 2001 cr250 and I want to set it up for a woods type bike. it has a skid plate on it, I am getting a new chain and sprockets (looking for suggestions on gearing), debating a flywheel weight (would like suggestions on best weight to get, and any suggestions on brand). anything else I need to get me going on a good woods riding bike? I am also looking for a kickstand, like the pro moto ones, but they are expensive, what is the best place to get them?
thanks,
JIm

NJGregsCR

Feb 25, 2007
I have a 97 CR which I added the following to and has been pretty good for the tight NJ woods.

14oz FW weight from steahlyoffroad
steel clutch plates
51 tooth rear sprocket
ProMoto Billet kickstand
Gnarly pipe
Nature friendly silencer
DB Snorkel
Bark busters type guards

I got alot of the stuff directly from Steahly, very helpfull folks by the way.
Hope this helps-

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
2001 CR250 Stock Gearing

Jim,
I also have a 2001 CR250 that I have owned since new. I ride mostly off-road, enduro's and harescramble's. The stock gearing is 13/50. I have never saw the need to alter the gearing on my bike, I think it is near perfect. There is only a couple of times in extremely tight woods where I wish I would have had a lower 1st gear, but I wasn't willing to give away top speed on roads, as I do a lot of enduro layout work for the Jackpine Enduro. My advice to you is stick with the stock gearing. If you need any other set-up tips on your bike let me know.

Dave L.

Top Bottom