menaceg21

Apr 18, 2006
I unloaded 01 YZ125 and rode it for about 15 minutes yesterday. When I put it on the stand I smelled gas really bad and looked and found that there was a 4 inch crack in my gas tank and there was gas leaking out everywhere. What could have caused this? I didn't drop the bike at all when I took it for a spin and it wasn't leaking when I filled it up.....Does anybody know where I can get a new gas tank for a 01 YZ125?

truckster225

Jun 11, 2009
Well, lots of things could have caused it to crack. If you dont already know what did it, you probably never will. How bad is the crack? If it's not like a huge hole, but just a thin crack, you dont really need a new tank. You can go into ANY auto supply store and get Gas Tank repair gel/sealant. You apply it, wait ONLY 5 minutes, and it hardens right away. Its sandable AND paintable.

Otherwise, you can try Craigslist, E-bay, Motorcycle shop or a local used motorcycle parts place.

Good luck!

brentn

Aug 7, 2009
truckster225 said:
Well, lots of things could have caused it to crack. If you dont already know what did it, you probably never will. How bad is the crack? If it's not like a huge hole, but just a thin crack, you dont really need a new tank. You can go into ANY auto supply store and get Gas Tank repair gel/sealant. You apply it, wait ONLY 5 minutes, and it hardens right away. Its sandable AND paintable.

Otherwise, you can try Craigslist, E-bay, Motorcycle shop or a local used motorcycle parts place.

Good luck!

I completely agree, there are some great patch sealants out there. I used one before that was a poxy, although it was a different color than the tank I applied a glob on the crack and smoothed it over. It never leaked again.
You don't need to buy a new gas tank.

Top Bottom