holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I was at a moto track recently (Elsinore) and noticed that my gas tank was leaking when I stopped back in the pits. During that day and the also during the previous ride, my bike developed an intermittent misfiring problem. When an intermittent problem develops, it's usually ignition/electrical, but when I pulled the hot start out while it was running, the problem cleared up temporarily, which would indicate a carburetor/jetting problem. I was soooo confused. :silly:

Thinking that the cracked tank and misfiring at the same time were no coincidence, I decided to soak the coil with gas while the bike was running, to see if I could recreate the problem. Nope, that wasn't it. I was going through the electrical/ignition with a meter looking for the problem and was almost resigned to buying a new CDI, when it hit me like a sack of bricks (not the CDI, a revelation).

The gas tank was cracked at the far rear, near the air box, and raw gas was dribbling onto the filter whenever I squished the tank while riding (causing a rich condition).

Good thing it didn't cut out when I went for that third gear jump..... :eek:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Hi Ron: it sounds like all of them fumes are making you dizzy!

during my travels looking for a solution for my cracked 2 stroke yz tank, i read exactly the same thing, gas leaking in the airbox making the whole thing rich!

I think the only way of fixing the tank issue is a $165 check made out to Clarke plastics!

later

bruce

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
I wouldn't ride a bike with a cracked tank as petrol UMM ERR Im not sure how to say this but get it on your "credentials" and it kills. Junior got a good soaking from a split cap area on his KX 80 and he was off squeeling. Looking back it was a funny sight him with his dacks and undies down in the pits with half the crowd wondering what had happened and him jumping up and down hanging on to them and going It kills It kills. A good wash off and he was OK but it hurt. One thing though he did about the quickest laps I have ever seen done in the rush to get back. ;)

If you read this Ryan :)

Top Bottom