BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Notice a crack in the nickel plating just above the exhaust port running straight up for about an inch.... :(

My question :
How bad is it
what is the next best step.
If rework is necessary is a replating best or should I go with a sleve and big bore kit..
Thanks
Joe

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
No damage to the nicosil plate is a good thing. Mine's damaged. I just run it! (not in the same place yours is...and it's NOT a crack)

Sleeves aren't plated.

Considering the cost of a replate-to-stock ($150 I think) bore it seems kinda silly NOT to do something like mr. gorr's big bore kit for the 200. Again...not a sleeve, but a bore and replate plus porting and parts...$400.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
CC the big bore replate sound like the way to go....
1st I'll have to fix my KIPS delema.
Makes me wonder just how long that crack has been there? and how much longer is would last is left untouched?? :think:

......if only that big bore price was in Canadian dollars!!! ;)

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Update..

I have check the top end again and found some interesting finds.

1st.... the crack is all the way through the cylinder. Well,,,,from inside the cylinder wall through to the side where the center exhaust valve sits. That area is about 1/4 thick or so..

2nd.... the head gasket....
the long holes/slots in the gasket,the ones that allow the coolant to flow through, are not the same size as the holes/slots in the cylinder and/or head. The holes in the cylinder/head are about 1"x1/4" . The two back slots match fine..They are about 1"x1/4". The two FORWARD holes in the gasket are only about 1/4" in dia..They are holes.Not long slots. This will not allow sufficient flow/cooling in the front of the cylinder and could cause overheating. Thus causing the valves to become siezed as jdbrusch stated. And most likely the crack. :(

My questions:

1st.... can this be fixed using epoxy/jbweld or something similar. Erric G. uses epoxy to change the timing of transfer ports so can it be used in this case or does this need to be fix professionally, via welding and replating. I'm thinking more so to seal the area as compared to increasing strenght..Any thoughts??

2nd.... will this cause jetting nightmares as the exhaust port is essentially alway open to the combustion chamber. Even though... it is only a small amount.

Thanks
Joe

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You're on the way to getting this fixed, right? Another post got you a tip on a cylinder that EG may have from CDave?

Hopefully.

Last edited:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Just fired off an e-mail to Eric G.
Waiting reply.
Perhap I should call him.
How do I get his #
Thanks
Joe

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
forget it...just saw it on his site.
Joe

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
I have the same problem as BucKat.
Crack through the nickesal into the barrel.
How did you fix the problem?

Can anyone tell me the difference in performance & lifespan between nickesel an a sleeve.

Will it be a option to put a sleeve in?

In South Afica we havent got a Eric Gorr!!!!

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
GreenPeace... I called Eric last year when I orginally found the problem..

Basically he told me this.... If it hasn't blown up yet....you're good to go. I was told that if the crack did not cause a ring to get hooked it should be fine.
I did nothing to fix the problem,,,,,,, just re-assembled and rode.

The bike is still running very strong today. Several hard miles have been put on that engine since.
Please don't hold Eric's words against him should your bike fail if you continue to run it as is.....
I took MY OWN chances on his advice.. If it would have blown,,,I'd not have blamed him.

In South Africa,,,,you do have Eric Gorr.........just visit his website and give him a call.....
I'm sure he will ship to you if you ask..He's a real decent guy.

Originally posted by canyncarvr
You're on the way to getting this fixed, right? Another post got you a tip on a cylinder that EG may have from CDave?

Hopefully.
CC.... I did talk to Eric about that cylinder and opted to run the bike as is. Yes I took my chances and so far nothing has come from it.

Buc

Last edited:

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Thanks for the reply BK

I will xamine the barrel again & let you know what i decide on.
We have some serious riding this weekend so your advice suite me fine...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom