Eric Gorr 225 kit, different kind of question

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I did search the archives, and it seems everyone is very pleased with this setup... I have a little different set of goals though...

I'm trying to decide between just replating my stock cylinder and leaving it be, or going to the 225 kit. I've read the archives, and it sounds like everyone with the 225 setup is very pleased.

I'm and old fat guy that just likes to play in the woods, I'll never race the thing. But more power is always nice, I just want to know what I am trading off for it.

First, how does fuel milage suffer? My guess is that stock the KDX-200 gets about 33 mpg, which is fine for the kind of trail riding I expect to do. If that dropped to like 20, then I would be constantly planning rides around gas, which wouldn't be much fun.

And while I know I will have to re-jet, can I run the stock exhuast? And will tuning it that way end up being a big project? $500 for the big bore I can probably swing. $500 for a big bore and another $200 for a full exhaust system that's too loud anyway is less attractive.

I don't care so much about top end, the part of the big bore kit that appeals to me is having a broader powerband. So it seems a stock exhaust, maybe with a torque ring and the big bore kit, would be just the ticket for what I want. Quiet, lots of grunt at low RPM's, and a sane and controllable top end.

Thanks in advance for any advice or first hand experience...

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
All you need to do is call Eric. Tell him what you want to do and he'll tell you if it will work.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Just to follow up for others that might have questions... I don't think this violates the forum rules, as I have no relationship with this company other then needing a cylinder service and considering using them...

I just got the phone, and Eric had great information and was very patient... I was debating between replating and staying stock, or going for the 225 big bore kit.

Looks like the 225 is a slam dunk. For $500, they will bore it out to 225cc's, replate with Nickasil, include the proper Wiesco piston kit, clean up the KIPS, resurface the head, inspect, measure, new top end gasket kit, etc. It basically comes back ready to bolt on.

It will run fine with the stock exhaust, and run even better if you switch to an FMF pipe. The job can be tuned for top, all around, or bottom.

After the job, it can be rebuilt / replated later if you do have to service it again. And his experience with the Nickisil finish (as opposed to the stock factory coating) is that you will probably never have to... and that you will get a lot more life out of pistons and rings. Also, the bigger bore keeps leftovers from the previous coatings from screwing things up.

This is all consistent with what I know about Buell motors... Nickisil is the way to go.

So if I understand the pricing right, its only 30% more to redo it as a 225 versus keeping it a 200, you end up with a better replate, you can keep the stock exhaust and stock reed setup, fuel economy isn't much worse, and reliability is as good if not better. And of course more power.

So it sounds like a pretty easy decision...

Anybody found a post 225 dyno plot? It'd be interesting to compare it to a modern 4 stroke.

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
Did he comment how the power was compared to a KDX-220 with carb , pipe , and other misc modifications ??

I'd be very interested to ride a 225 with all around porting.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Thanks for posting the report from the call. He has or had a forum on here, as he was a site sponsor, so no need to worry about stepping on any toes about that.

It's 223cc, compared to 198 or 216, so the "no replacement for displacement applies some or a good bit". :-) It is ported, so that will help besides it being larger displacement.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Thanks for the first hand experience Wolf.

Eric talked about where the tune should put the power, but no absolute terms. Which is wise of him... there are too many variables... tune for top end? Tune for broader powerband? Tune for low end? Tune for pump gas? Tune for race gas? Stock pipe? Torque pipe? Desert pipe? Stock reeds?

So no absolute numbers beyond "more".

He also indicated that fuel MPG with the stock pipe (which I hope to use for a while at least) probably wont take too big a hit. Putting the FMF pipe on it will deliver a lot more power, but eat a lot more gas as well.

This cheap bike is getting expensive, but I am probably still only about $1600 total into the project, and I'll be coming out of it with all new consumables (tires, chain, air filter), lots of new plastics, new seat cover, and now better then new from the crankcase up...

Top Bottom