Crank bearing maintanence while jug is off?

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I have the top end and jug off the bike, is there anything I should do with the crank as far as maintanence is concerned. I've heard of the crank bearings drying out, is there something I can do to remedy this? The bike won't be back together for probably a couple of weeks. The last thing I want to do is redo the topend and have the bearings go. The bike is stored outside, I could however bring it inside if that would help...

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
If it is stored outside, I would suggest you put something rain proof to cover it and also put some of that plastic under the bike to cut on the humidity coming up from the soil at night. The crank and main bearings are likely to corrode if the stay outside because the fine layer of oil is washed off quick by condensation. If you really are to leave this project open for a few weeks still, I suggest you put some motor oil in the crank up to the main bearings. Make sure to rotate the crank so the con-rod bearing sits in oil.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by NO HAND
If you really are to leave this project open for a few weeks still, I suggest you put some motor oil in the crank up to the main bearings. Make sure to rotate the crank so the con-rod bearing sits in oil.

:scream: NO!!!!

Maybe for a four stroke :think: We are talking about a 2 stroke engine. The above weatherizing is correct but I would take it a step further. Take an old coffee can cover and cut it to fit the cylender head then go to your local HW store to find some collets that fit over your studs and extend up to the threads. Simply finger tighten down on to the base.

Now to lube your rod bering simply take your favorite pre-mix flavor and por a little bit on your berins and arm, rotete the crank a few times to lube and reseal. Do the above about every 3-4 days and you will be worry free.

Phillip

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Thanks IrishEKU, the bikes in a shed and is totally protected from the weather. I was just worried about the colder nights and the warm days, might lead to come condensation. I'll grab the coffee and go to work first thing tomorrow :)

Oh yeah, what are collets?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Spacers or sleaves. You could use a peice of hose too. Just make sure the ID(interior diameter) is larger than the studs. The whole idea is to allow you to tighten the nuts down to hold your barrier in place. The sleeve which is just a little bit larger than the base mounting studs would act as the width of your jug and make the coffee can lid like your base gasket. I hope this explaination helps, if not I can try out my skills on MS paint but I think I would come up a bit short on the "Predcasso" scale.

Good Luck,
Phillip

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…