ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
I just took the back wheel off my 05 yz 125 and the spacer inside the hub between the two wheel bearings is loose and free inside. Is that very normal?
The axle had to be hit out with a hammer, and there was definitily a lack of anything resembling grease on it.
The wheel bearings themselves looked fine... and i never noticed any play in them...so what would you guys do?

I will probably need a new axle bolt since I messed the threads up while hammering it out. But should I go ahead and put new bearings on and try get that spacer straight?

If the bearings look fine can I just put the new axle through with that spacer being loose? Or is there away I can get that spacer tight in there again?
Anyone know of cheap place for an axle? didn't see anything on rockymountainatv.com motosport.com or ebay...

any help would be appreciated.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
With the axle removed, it is not uncommon for the center spacer to be loose between the bearings. Especially if the bearings are worn.

The proper way to repair it would be to remove the old bearings and seals and clean all of the dirt and rust out of the spacer and hub and replace the bearings and seals with new ones. Be sure to pack the new bearings with grease and heat the hub to remove the old bearings and to install the new bearings.

You could probably get away with just installing a new axle and if the wheel doesn't bind when you tighten the axle, the spacing should be ok. But, for the price of new bearings and seals, just do it right and you won't have to worry about your wheel coming apart. :cool:

Top Bottom