Crankcase Vent hose on used bike

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
I was checking out a used 99 yz 125 the other day and noticed that when the kid started the bike you could see smoke coming from the crankcase vent breather tube. Is this normal? I never noticed it on any of my other bikes. Could it be the rings are shot?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
When "99 YZ" is in the subject, first line of the post, you can assume the post goes in the CR/KX/RM/YZ Forum.
Moved.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
The breather hose you guys are talking about is not the crankcase breather hose, if your crankcase had a breather hose, the bike wouldn't run (hence 2 stroke). It is the transmission brether hose. If it is smoking, maybe some tranny oil is buring due to some sort of heat problem. If the top end is shot, that has nothing to do with the breather hose smoking.

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
fatty_k,
Could it be that the seal between the tranny and the crankcase is shot and the compression is pushing the burned air/fuel out the breather?

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I belive that there is no seal between the crankcase and the tranny. I think it is just a bulkhead in there. So the tranny and crankcase are totally seperate compartmets seperated by a wall. Maybe someone else can answer that correctly.

1999RM125

Mod Ban
Apr 1, 2002
are you sure it was the crank case hose? was it at the front of the motor, becasue im pretty sure if it was then it would be the power valve vent, and mine and all my friends bikes smoke a little bit from there

scud1

Jul 7, 2002
Yes there is a seal between the crank and the gearbox. If that seal was shot it would suck oil from the tranny not blow the opposite way.I cant see how the gear oil could be burning thru the vent hose though

Top Bottom